Cinco de Polo (Now with NOS!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Cinco de Polo

Although I like the way the shifter worked, I didn't like the appearance. So I'm gonna' try this "tank plate" shifter body. Aluminum bar will be cut down to make a cable ferrule. Also makes for a better color pallet. "Dog bone" will keep the belt from skipping.

shifter04.jpg

Wow, been a frustrating day. After getting the shifter mechanically done, the ol' skippin' chain came back. This time it fell off going from second to third, that's where the chain is in a straight line! OK, time to make a guide. It basically covers the top of the sprocket and it's mounted to the chain guard.
Didn't make any difference, still managed to fall off once. Think I'll call it the Houdini chain. But at least I'm happier with the look of shifter 2.0. Currently in greyscale.

shifter05.jpg

shifter06.jpg

With all the chain problems, the paint on the sprocket, chain guard, and frame got scratched badly. Time for a redo.

now thats a rat rod! using what ya got to make somethin cool.

love the atari shifter! takes me back to my youth. :)

hubgearfreak said:
JoKeR63 said:
Whats even funnier is the 60 MPH max speed, kinda' like having a 150mph speedo in a car, it's there just to inflate your ego
spdo.jpg

i think it's kilometers, ie. 60 of them is worth 36 miles. i think you use english miles? :wink:
Pretty much. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile

i must have the lazy mans version. :)
same little m on the needle.
IMG_3521.jpg

heck throw it on a 16" rim and it will really inflate your ego when your doing 60. :)

icyuod2 said:
i must have the lazy mans version. :)
same little m on the needle.
IMG_3521.jpg

heck throw it on a 16" rim and it will really inflate your ego when your doing 60. :)

Speaking of Kilo's, I did some ROUGH math and came up with a 17.25" wheel to convert a 26" speedo to KPH.So my 16" wheel gets it pretty close to KPH.
That dial looks much more realistic! :wink:

I'm officially calling my chain problem solved, I'm using a chaintube behind the chainguard. Finally got some time to go test it today and it never fell off once.

Knocking on wood, crossing fingers, sacrificing a chicken, etc............. :wink:

I'll get some pics of it when I take it off to repaint it.

In the fine icyuod2 tradition I present to you the 9th Ward. Been keeping me away from the bike for a week now. Just got to get thru the weekend. Apparently between the termites and water damage the toilet was getting ready for a "Cleveland Brown" moment! :D

Dscn0335.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

I really can't wait to get back to Cinco, this bites!

oh man, i feel your pain. we don't get much in the way of termites up here, but i've delt with a few toilets rotting through the floor.

best of luck with the re-model, but it looks like you got it under control.

did you figure out why the chain keeps falling off? ya couldn't flip sprockets etc to fix the problem?
looking forward to the new pic's.

cleveland brown moment?????

icyuod2 said:
oh man, i feel your pain. we don't get much in the way of termites up here, but i've delt with a few toilets rotting through the floor.

best of luck with the re-model, but it looks like you got it under control.

did you figure out why the chain keeps falling off? ya couldn't flip sprockets etc to fix the problem?
looking forward to the new pic's.

cleveland brown moment?????

Yea, I put in a chain tube behind the chainguard. I've got about 15 mi's on it and no problems.

Hubgear got the Family Guy reference spot on!

OK, floors in, and another bike project I had to get done, I finally git to go back to Cinco. I'm painting the shifter right now and I'm goin' with continuing with the asymmetrical stripe on the seat. It's still in masking, so no pics yet. And I repainted all the damaged parts.
While I got it apart, I got a shot of the chaintube in the chainguard.

tube.jpg

And here's the other thing that's kept me busy, I've needed a better ride to work!

uav01.jpg

Almost got sent to the second page! :roll: Yikes!

JoKeR63 said:
OK, floors in, and another bike project I had to get done, I finally git to go back to Cinco. I'm painting the shifter right now and I'm goin' with continuing with the asymmetrical stripe on the seat. It's still in masking, so no pics yet. And I repainted all the damaged parts.
While I got it apart, I got a shot of the chaintube in the chainguard.

And here's the other thing that's kept me busy, I've needed a better ride to work!

Almost got sent to the second page! :roll: Yikes!

dont go there, you don't know who's hanging out on the second page. :shock:
good to hear the floor is finished and your back on track. can't wait to see your progress on the cinco

hey! im on the second page! :x :roll:

Stripes came out OK, but tried clearcoating shifter body and apparently the stuff doesn't like tropical humidity! Maybe I can hit it again tomorrow.

stripes.jpg

stripeguard-1.jpg

And then there's this little guy. I was looking up into the rafters and seen this thing on a 3spd wheel from a scrapped chick bike. Apparently it's from a Kellogg's cereal box circa 1985. It looks very generic but it may represent something, if you recognize it, chime in. I was in Germany in '85, so I was out of the loop. Reflector has long since disappeared, so I used some reflective tape to replace it.

robot-1.jpg

so where you going to hide the Nos bottle?

shifter05.jpg

JoKeR63 said:
And then there's this little guy. I was looking up into the rafters and seen this thing on a 3spd wheel from a scrapped chick bike. Apparently it's from a Kellogg's cereal box circa 1985. It looks very generic but it may represent something, if you recognize it, chime in. I was in Germany in '85, so I was out of the loop. Reflector has long since disappeared, so I used some reflective tape to replace it.
robot-1.jpg
I gotta say, that thing looks like a transformer...too bad you don't have one that looks like Megan Fox! :lol:

Back