CL deals...now with pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple CL deals in the works...if they turn out as cool as they seem, I should have some pics tomorrow. Might be cash-free exchanges too!! Seem like nice guys so fingers crossed!! :mrgreen:

Re: CL deals

heres the schwinnn...not sure whats what..newer and older mixed...electra seat and prob bars and wheels too.locking Schwinn springer with the lock gone.horn works!!
100_0158.jpg

100_0159.jpg

for some reason I keep losing pics in my camera...heres a front shot of the columbia. Has the built in rack...
100_0162.jpg

100_0167.jpg

100_0165.jpg

100_0164.jpg

100_0185.jpg

100_0188.jpg

ending up giving 9 road/ten speed bikes and bits...

Cool. The Columbia Frame is cool. The Schiwnn just needs some different wheels and handle bars. It has parts though that can easily be resold. Is the fork locking?

locking but no lock..Im trying to figure out if the tank, rack, crank/pedals and fork are repop or not...I know it sounds dumb but I can't tell...no reflectors on pedals...

the bike looks to be a repop.. too shiney to be old.. and there's no little screws on the headbadge.

the frame shows a 1967 serial #. The tank, crank/sprocket/pedals,guard and springer are the suspected repop pieces...Something is up with the headbadge though...

holes in head tube for badge, wrong badge.Without pulling the crank to check for date Im gonna guess re-pop on the parts...

...but just in case, does anyone know if the re-pop phantoms have locking forks and this type of sprocket? And reflector-less pedals?

I guess the rust could be 14 years old
100_0192.jpg

100_0193.jpg

100_0195.jpg

100_0194.jpg

the next time you see this it will have fewer spokes, whiter walls and higher bars :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
100_0191.jpg

Actually, I'm pretty sure original Phantoms had Persons Supreme style pedals with 'AS' end caps.. The bow pedals started in 54 w/the new deluxe middleweights like the Corvette, and had screws holding the rubber blocks to the cage. ~Adam

Don't know how much you've figured out about your Phantom but here's a couple things I know:

Those pedals are later pieces, can't say from exactly when but I've come across a couple sets like that which do not have the center hole in the side. They aren't original to either a real Phantom or a 95 reissue. As you have noted, the originals got the type with the heavy Schwinn Deluxe pedal blocks.

That crank gear is precisely the type I bought, new in bag, last year as a reissue part to put on our '53 being restored. The rust on yours does look consistent with 10-15 years outside.

The real giveaway on its origin, in my book is the tank: the new tanks, if painted or stenciled by Schwinn, do not have the thin black stripe going forward past the horn button. Look at a good picture of an original and you'll see that the indent in the tank is painted in a black stripe all the way to the front edge, right through the center of the tank. The late tanks are "painted" with a black applique that is not 100% accurate to the original tanks.

As for the head badge, it seems consistent with what I've seen on the current generation of bikes.

What is the serial number? The 95 re-issues were all numbered 0001 to 5000.

And as for the Columbia, I have one of that style chainguard. It's like an aqua color.

--Rob

Markm said:
thanx Adam...they do look "re-poppy"

Back