coaster brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i amtrying to put a skyhawk 50cc engine on my custom frame , can i put the sprocket on the side with the coaster brake?

do you mean the coaster brake arm? yes. that's the side it has to go on. the opposite of the pedal side.

you need to remove the arm to get the sprocket over it.

i dont know if u can have a coaster break with a motor

you dont even have to take the arm off, the sprocket will slide over it, you can have a coaster brake on a motoried bike, but id suggest running a front brake too, those coasters will get hot with alot of stop and go braking from 30 mph. plus a front brake stops better.

i stand corrected.

i've never seen a stock sprocket slide over the arm of the coaster brake, but try it, if it works, awesome.

and you could motorize any type of wheel, even a fixie. it'd be stupid, but it could be done.

bairdco said:
you could motorize any type of wheel, even a fixie. it'd be stupid, but it could be done.

what if i wanted my legs to move really fast? :D :mrgreen:

xHOBOPHOBIAx said:
bairdco said:
you could motorize any type of wheel, even a fixie. it'd be stupid, but it could be done.

what if i wanted my legs to move really fast? :D :mrgreen:

Old style toe clips! :lol: :lol:

or those new fancy ones your shoes clip into. :lol: fixie, with a motor. tallbike, no brakes. maybe a swing bike too? :p

so the rear could just shoot infront of you? that would be cool though.

bairdco said:
i've never seen a stock sprocket slide over the arm of the coaster brake, but try it, if it works, awesome.

and you could motorize any type of wheel, even a fixie. it'd be stupid, but it could be done.

the center hole for the motor drive sprocket should be larger than the hub flange, they clamp on with a bracket that makes the sprocket clamp down on the spokes instead of mounting to the hub itself. its easy enough to take a brake arm off if you need to but the brake arm should slide right through without any problems.

i don't use the stock kit sprockets, so i dunno if they changed them, but they used to actually be smaller than the dust caps on the coasters, so not only did you have to remove the arm, you had to grind the sprocket a bit so it'd clear, or cut down your dust cap.

it'd be cool if they finally changed them so they fit better, but i still hate the spoke mounted method.

i use a hub clamping sprocket adapter, and steel motorcycle sprockets with a #41 chain. the custom aluminum sprockets get chewed up pretty quick, and my last one looked like a saw blade after a month.

Back