Columbia 🐪 CamelBack - ‘21 2n1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the rear wheel apart. Need to prep the rim for paint, finish to match front black wheel rim. Then I’ll hand it off to one of the best local wheel builders, maybe the best, @KansasRollFast.
IMG_3975.jpeg
IMG_3976.jpeg
IMG_3977.jpeg
IMG_3978.jpeg

Last edited:
Prepped the three step rim hoop this morning for some fresh paint to match front wheel which was rebuilt several years ago.
IMG_3979.jpeg

Some fresh mechanicals for it.
IMG_3978.jpeg

Rim hoop drying and curring in Bicycle Alley shed.
IMG_3980.jpeg

Now for KansasRollFast to work his magic.

Last edited:
From rust patina, to primer coffin ring
IMG_3931.jpeg
IMG_3958.jpeg
IMG_3983.jpeg
to hammered black…

Stem to get some Hammered Black to match the crank and ring.
IMG_3984.jpeg
IMG_3994.jpeg

Dry heat in shed.

Last edited:
A little consternation with the toolbox tank. The original starting build had it installed mainly to hold battery packs for light and horn. I’m leaving the horn off but thinking I’ll put light back on. The clamp won’t work with the threadless stem but will work on bars. Th light bracket has enough adjustment that the light lens should center on the bike.
Anyway I did a test fit and as the previous installation the front bottom of the tank interferes with the fork crown. Obliviously the tank front profile wasn’t designed to fit this camelback frame. Since I’d already cut away some of the tank to get it to fit. I trimmed the bottom corners to clear the fork crown. I still need to clean up the cut edges and work the metal a bit for more symmetry. And then there’s the topic of paint and finish…another chapter to come.
IMG_3985.jpeg
IMG_3987.jpeg
IMG_3988.jpeg
IMG_3989.jpeg
IMG_3990.jpeg
IMG_3991.jpeg
IMG_3993.jpeg

Put the hammered black stem and bars back on and experimented with a wooden grip for appearance.

IMG_4001.jpeg

IMG_4003.jpeg

Put some rubber bow pedals on to see how they look.
IMG_4002.jpeg

Need to commit to some color for the tank, I made a few sketches.

Axle adjusting screw replacements? One was bent pretty good, so got a couple of #12-24NC x 1-3/4” flat head SS bolts and nuts. Haven’t tried them yet, hopefully a rat rod fix.
IMG_4004.jpeg

——————————————————-—
In place, should work. If not, can get 2” long ones.
IMG_4007.jpeg
IMG_4005.jpeg

Last edited:
Rough tank ideas with Notepad+ app
IMG_6782.jpeg
IMG_6780.jpeg

As of right now, after sanding and wiping down, the whole thing is Warm Carmel…86F here, thinking on the fly option three in my mind.
IMG_4011.jpeg
IMG_4013.jpeg
IMG_4014.jpeg
IMG_4015.jpeg
IMG_4016.jpeg

Watching paint dry…
IMG_4017.jpeg

Disadvantage to shade tree painting…birds, I now have two footprints and a bird flying around with Warm Carmel socks. Never had that happen before.
IMG_4020.jpeg

New meaning to “Crows Foot Texture” finish I guess.

Last edited:
Could be a case of sabotage and here's a suspicious looking character.
238427-20230625-112733.jpg
Could be sabotage, sadly our dachshund caught one of the baby Cardinals on the ground and that was the reality of nature. So maybe payback, the adult pair are still around.

Maybe there’s a Cardinal Mafia at work here…hey hey.

Last edited:
Axle adjusting screw replacements? One was bent pretty good, so got a couple of #12-24NC x 1-3/4” flat head SS bolts and nuts. Haven’t tried them yet, hopefully a rat rod fix.View attachment 238299

——————————————————-—
In place, should work. If not, can get 2” long ones.
View attachment 238302View attachment 238303
I thought they were all that oddball size #14--24. Good to know some are #12s. Around here I can find the brass 14-24s, but nothing in steel.

Disadvantage to shade tree painting…birds, I now have two footprints and a bird flying around with Warm Carmel socks. Never had that happen before. View attachment 238456

New meaning to “Crows Foot Texture” finish I guess.
Tempted to just leave the foot prints…and call it bird patina. What are odds of another build off bike using the same technique?

Last edited:
Just got caught up with your build and it's looking awesome! Great paint and details, awesome ideas and design abound. I'm still loving the fork mods, really cool. The seat and bars are perfect. Really cool!!
:cool2:

Doubled down on bird signature tool box tank. I left the foot prints…natures patina. I masked it up, added some darts and angular lines. Shot it with some peach in 99F degrees. A little two hot for smooth paint but it is what it is. Stripped the tape after around 45 minutes.

IMG_4029.jpeg
IMG_4031.jpeg
IMG_4032.jpeg
IMG_4030.jpeg
IMG_4033.jpeg

Last edited:
After spraying peach, masking still in place.
Tank with masking off and additional peach paint.

IMG_4037.jpeg
IMG_4038.jpeg
IMG_4040.jpeg
IMG_4042.jpeg
IMG_4043.jpeg

IMG_4039.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got caught up with your build and it's looking awesome! Great paint and details, awesome ideas and design abound. I'm still loving the fork mods, really cool. The seat and bars are perfect. Really cool!!
:cool2:
Thanks for taking a look! Appreciate the props. Not sure it’s all warranted but I’ll take it.
Starting to see light at end of the tunnel so to speak. I guess I keep doing these builds for the mental exercise and sense of accomplishment.

Back