Copper mug=sweet drink carryall!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I went thrift store shopping the other day, and came across a pair of copper coffee mugs for 1.50 for the pair. So I thought what the heck, can't lose man. Took 'em home, fitted one on my bars and let my shaping hammer do the rest. Plus a soda can or water fits perfectly. I am even thinking about some cheap insulation....thoughts?

cupclose.jpg

nah, I will try to post some pics of how I hammered the handle, but now it has a kind of brass knuckle look to it and the fit is tight around the bar, took a ride with my lady today and had a full dr.p in there, I might put a strip of grip tape for the future, haven't decided yet. here is the full bike;

cup1.jpg

benz said:
I'd be concerned about having to curb hop.I can see the potential loss of a beavarage due to a sudden jolt on the frontend.I beleve some mechanical fasterers are in order.Just my $0.02! :wink:

yeah, I know what you mean losing a bev is not cool. thanks man.

That's a beaut! I had given up on finding a suitable bev holder -- most are pricey and lack class. That looks great on your bike!

:edit to add:
Cool idea for the seat too! I've seen a lot of hot rods with those woven blankets over the seats! Nice adaptation!

very kool idea. i need a seat cover like that but can't find the material, any ideas?

Outlaw 8)

hey thanks for all the thumbs up, yeah, I know what you mean about a good bev holder, most are really flashy and just don't do it for me. I do have an extra copper mug that I was going to mount on my gal's cruiser, I could be persuaded to sell it, have to ask the boss you know. As for the Blanket Ideas man, I live in san antonio Texas, those blankets are in every little shop you can think of, how much material do you need? I will gladly give you some if you pay for the shipping dude. Let me know......peace!

Just thought of a way to insulate the cup and also help prevent beverages from popping out of the cup.
Get a can of expanding foam, the minimal expansion type would probably be best. Grease or oil coat the outside of a can, and set it inside the copper cup, and mask off the copper cup on the outside(just in case the foam creeps over the edge) then insert the straw on the foam can and squirt away ! I wouldnt fill it more than 3/4 of the way to the top, and keep an eye on it until it's done expanding. Once the foams set, simply pull the old can out. Excess cured foam can be cut off.
Dont forget to turn the foam can upside down over a garbage can and empty the straw, otherwise the foam will cure in the straw, rendering the rest of the can useless.
Hope that helps,
Rick

I had some lids that snapped on the top of a pop or beer can to keep the contents inside, that may help you too. I just wish I knew where I put them dang things.

I found an old collapseable lunch box, thinking about just making a little pouch and elastic neck, any thoughts?

Maybe I'm a tripper, but when I first saw that copper mug I thought it might have been a WAY vintage speedo housing or something. I've always liked a bit of steam punk, and I reckon this has given me a tad of an idea. Cheers!!!

Hey, thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated. I found a copper bugle at a thrift store,I am going to take off the mouth piece, add some tubing, add a squeeze box , fab some brackets and make myself a copper horn. honk honk! :lol:

Back