CORRECTED: 26x1-3/8 tire whoas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I almost dread posting this, because this topic has been beaten to death on all cycling forums, but here goes...

I have an Araya rim, clearly marked 26x1-3/4, and the tire that came off it was clearly marked the same, yet a brand new SunLite 26x1-3/4" tire does NOT fit it, it is too large. Not massively too large, just large enough that I can't seat the bead. I even tried taping the tire in place in even increments, but still the smallest amount of air put in the tube unseats it in places, and the tube begins to come out.

Argh. Is this just a one-off problem, where if I were to buy a different brand tire, it would probably fit? Sunlite's tolerances just don't jive with an Araya rim?

I bought eight of these tires, and so far they fit all other 26x1-3/4" rims I've put them on. They do mount up quite easy, but I've had no problem with them seating until this Araya rim.

Re: 26x1-3/4 tire whoas

Are you sure it is listed as a fraction? 1-3/4 is S7 (571mm) vs 1.75 is Cruiser/MTB (559mm)

These? (26x 1-3/4" tires won't fit them.)

img_32081_blowup.jpg

I've never heard of Araya using the proprietary Schwinn size, so if it is indeed marked 1 3/4, then I'd venture to guess they just didn't get the memo over in Japan.

Jpromo said:
I've never heard of Araya using the proprietary Schwinn size, so if it is indeed marked 1 3/4, then I'd venture to guess they just didn't get the memo over in Japan.
Yes, I also have never seen Araya rims marked 1 3/4" but, I have ran into an oddity in the fractional sizes. S7 we all know, and 1 3/8, but there are 1 3/4 tires that fit 1 3/8this, then to make matters more confusing, the Brits.???, made there own 1 3/4s, dang!
I had the oddy wheels on a Torker 26. Only tires I ever found were chain link tread.

mikeeebikey said:
Jpromo said:
Yes, I also have never seen Araya rims marked 1 3/4" but, I have ran into an oddity in the fractional sizes. S7 we all know, and 1 3/8, but there are 1 3/4 tires that fit 1 3/8this, then to make matters more confusing, the Brits.???, made there own 1 3/4s, dang!
I had the oddy wheels on a Torker 26. Only tires I ever found were chain link tread.

Nope. None of this is the Brits' fault. It's all Schwinn. The Brits' have a 26x1 3/8" which is a 590mm aka EA3 or 650a to the French. They use this size everywhere on Earth, even in America, except in Schwinnland. The Brits also would call the 650b size (584mm) a 26x1 1/2", but any 584 will fit it. (Strangely enough, Schwinn brought the 584 to mtn bikes late in the game, but marketed them as s4-sized wheels. The only place where the Brits messed up was with their 26x1 1/4" racing tires on very old lightweight; these were 597mm, which coincides with the Schwinn s6, aka 26x1 3/8".

The best thing that happened when Schwinn closed down itsChicago production facilities is that about half of the needlessly redundant tire sizes became obsolete with it.

OP: I think your Arayas are 559s. It won't take but a minute for you to test-fit one and find out. I'm sure you've got some lying around.

First off I have to correct my OP, which it looks like the last person who replied knew my mistake. I typed 26x1-3/4, but I meant to type 1-3/8

So, my rims are old Arayas (on an old women's Royce Union that looks British built) that clearly are stamped 26x1-3/8, and my Kenda Sunlites are marked 26x1-3/8x1-1/4. They also read 37-597. And they read that they fit S-6 rims.

I have always thought it was safe to match fractions with fractions so now I am confused.

It is all Schwinn's fault. They wanted the customers to only buy their tires, so they made the size slightly different. I like Schwinns, but not the tire size scam. No apology will do.

So I need a 35-559 tire, also known as 26x1.4? Even though my rim is stamped fractionally? Just when I thought I understood the whole fractional decimal tire size thing...

559 is common balloon/mtb 26x1.5-2.125 size. s-6 is 597. My guess is that you need a 590, aka 650a and/or EA3, as described by Bicycle808 above. Most shops don't stock them anymore, even though they were possibly the most common touring bike tires a few decades ago. Strangely enough, last time I looked, Walmart carries them. :?

Just to muddy things up a bit, at least some of the Giant built Schwinns from Taiwan also use the 26x1-3/8 (590). I just put a set on an '83 Collegiate. Incidentally, Kenda makes them in black and gum wall, available on Amazon. Whitewalls are out there but are stupid expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helps to look at the head badge I suppose... The bike is made in Japan. It looks so British. Guess that explains the Arayas rims.

FWIW, years ago we had a couple 26" steel Araya S-5s knocking around the shop.... :shock:

Oh man you're lucky, at least you can get tires once you find the correct one to order. I had a Peugeot folding bike that I couldn't find tires for AT ALL. 550A size which is roughly 22". Bigger than a 20" and smaller than a 24". Just an oddball size that no bike shop in town could even order. I did find one pair on Ebay but they cost more than I paid for the bike so I just traded the bike off. Then had an externally geared 3 speed and a drum brake in rear so it was oddball all the way around.

PA060105.jpg

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
Helps to look at the head badge I suppose... The bike is made in Japan. It looks so British. Guess that explains the Arayas rims.

Going with my gut, you need a 590x37. (Fake-Brit Jap bike would most likely have 590s, plus 590 is the most common 26x1 3/8" size.) But don't listen to what my gut has to say; my gut is a fat idiot. Break out a tape measure, and see what THAT tells ya..................................... If'n you have the tires that used to be on it, that'd be a great clue, too. (PS-- it's not likely to measure out to exactly 590mm; 590 is where the tire's bead sits; the rim's diameter might be a mm or 2 higher than that....)

outskirtscustoms said:
Oh man you're lucky, at least you can get tires once you find the correct one to order. I had a Peugeot folding bike that I couldn't find tires for AT ALL. 550A size which is roughly 22". Bigger than a 20" and smaller than a 24". Just an oddball size that no bike shop in town could even order. I did find one pair on Ebay but they cost more than I paid for the bike so I just traded the bike off. Then had an externally geared 3 speed and a drum brake in rear so it was oddball all the way around.

PA060105.jpg

Took me 3 minutes to find 'em: http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/hs166 shame you sold the bike.

I have one original tire. The white sidewalls are so far gone there is no writing visible. I'll have to measure the rims.

Back