Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Craigslist nightmares and dreams... funny stories

Putting a "make an offer" ad out there really isn't a good way to gauge value. I have actually replied to those types of ads before with a ridiculously low price and had them accept. Don't be insulted, just laugh at them and move on in the negotioation. I have also had people that initially offered me $100 for a bike I had listed for $300 end up paying $275.

CeeBee said:
I've had $50.00 beater cars, trucks and mopeds in the past! On my local Craigslist, if you don't put a legit asking price you will probably get flagged off.

I wish I lived where you do, around here anything that runs is $400-$600. And I have seen $50 mopeds but they are all junk. I don't care if I sell it or not but I put good money into getting it ($100 CASH just on delivery and two VERY nice bikes in trade) so I'm not just gonna give it away.

outskirtscustoms said:
CeeBee said:
I've had $50.00 beater cars, trucks and mopeds in the past! On my local Craigslist, if you don't put a legit asking price you will probably get flagged off.

I wish I lived where you do, around here anything that runs is $400-$600. And I have seen $50 mopeds but they are all junk. I don't care if I sell it or not but I put good money into getting it ($100 CASH just on delivery and two VERY nice bikes in trade) so I'm not just gonna give it away.

The best advice for negotiating is don't take it personal. Just laugh the low offers off. I have had guys tell me I am not going to get anywhere near my asking price, and I save those email addresses and make sure to inform them when the bike is no longer for sale because I got my asking price or near abouts. I even had one loser that got so wrapped up in one of my sales that he replied to an email calling me a money hungry B. I laughed all the way to the bank!!!!!

Yeah I normally just post it with a price which I tried and got a few hits and trade offers but nothing solid so I dropped the price a little and finally just put up a trade add which is where most of my e-mails came from. I've had a few good trade offers but nothing I really need. In all reality I know I have more in it than it will ever be worth but to me it is a very useful bike and I don't care if I keep it forever because it is fun to ride, hauls a bunch of stuff, and is built like a Sherman tank. But if the right offer comes along and I can get another vehicle to drive since my truck went down I'll pass it along to it's next home.

I try not to take it personally but being offered $50 made me think...Bless his heart :lol:

kingfish254 said:
clerkkent said:
You want $1 for it?

Putting a link to an ebay listing is a Craig's list faux pas. :(

junknutz1975 said:
i added a different pic. check it out! ends today!
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/bik/3636593451.html

Why is it a faux pas? I have done that before too. Gives you a way to give locals attention to it and they don't have to pay shipping.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/faq#auction
Per Craig's list policies: "Can I put a link in my for sale posting pointing to an auction site like ebay?
No. Please post a set price, do not solicit bidding, and do not link to auctions elsewhere."

Since I'm in their house for free, I like to play by their rules.. just like on this forum.

I just think its funny when I accidentally click on the boats section how many people put motorcycles in the boats section by mistake trying to put them in the bikes section ... if that makes sense :lol: Seems to happen a lot around here.

outskirtscustoms said:
I posted my industrial cargo trike on Craigslist just to see what kind of offers I'd get on it and a guy emails me and asks if I'd take $50 CASH IN HAND. (As if I take anything other than cash anyway) :roll:

I had someone make a low offer, and use the phrase 'cash on the barrel'. I had to Google that one.

CCR said:
I just think its funny when I accidentally click on the boats section how many people put motorcycles in the boats section by mistake trying to put them in the bikes section ... if that makes sense :lol: Seems to happen a lot around here.

Yeah, I see that "miscategorization" the most often, boats and bikes being beside each other. I normally don't have money, so I just glance at the bike section, but when I have spare time I search the antique section for "bike" "bikes" "bicycle" and "bicycles." Then there is the general area, and sports area, and others... bikes could be hidden anywhere! However, just overall searching for those terms will fill your results with motorcycles and... Ain't nobody got time for dat!

Must be a folding bike?

3 time used bike for sale! - $45 (Spokane WA)
It's basically bran new, only used it three times. Front & back breaks work, both tires in great condition ready to use!
-Email me if interested!

I need to remind myself NEVER to put 'free' in the title of an ad, even if 'free' is part of the bike model.

I posted my LA Free electric bike on Craig's list. Sho 'nuff, I get a "Hello, I am interested in your electric bike that you are giving away" response. Brings up years ago when I was selling a Sears 'Free Spirit' model bike.... "Hello, I would love to take the spirit bike off your hands.. I promise to give it a good home and take care of it. I really can use a bicycle as I have no car." :roll:

I have given away plenty of free items on Craigslist, but the greed of some people never ceases to amaze me as they call up and ask what the item is or does, they just want to be able to better explain it to the person who they would be selling it to. :x

jayblok said:
a6Im.jpg

http://racine.craigslist.org/bik/3640839182.html

at first I thought backwards fork but no...it's bent

Let's play I spy with my little eye;
(Top picture)
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik/3616173203.html

I see a Nerve bike, a dogs head, uhhh, a stool with a screwdriver, a bud, and "OH MY WHAT IS THAT!"

Guess it's better than the dog running to the neighbors with the wife's B.O.B.~!

Back