Crashed Comet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'41. I did some paint stripping and serious sanding in 33 degree temps, which is nuts for May up here. I sanded the front Roamer fender and a cut CWC peaked fender. Monkeyed around with some Fat Franks and added drums keys for chain tensioners. Dug out a crusty old Troxel seat and some crusty sprockets.

bikestuff019.jpg

bikestuff024.jpg

bikestuff028.jpg

bikestuff027.jpg

bikestuff025.jpg

bikestuff023.jpg

bikestuff022.jpg

bikestuff021.jpg

bikestuff020.jpg

bikestuff030.jpg

bikestuff029.jpg

Both Sprockets are CWC and both are crusty but I like the Hawthorne better - I never have been a big fan of the Luxury Liner style. I got faked out when I saw the headbadge imprint on your frame - never noticed the straight down tube. I didn't think they would have any of those frames left by '41 but according to Phil they were making 4 different styles. Robert

Looks real good so far, I like the patina on the paint :wink:

'48 Hawthorne said:

Which springer are you going to use?
This one sure looks like the one that I am using on my FlexLiner 7.

This is gonna be a cool build to watch!!

Started to tinker with a couple pre-war Shockmaster springers. I am thinking that the one with the headlight mount is going to be the choice. I need to do some bending and tweaking to get the forks to rake out the way I want, should be interesting. I also put a light together with a Home Depot multi pack LED flashlight set and some Gorilla glue. Ghetto lighting :lol:

bikestuff034.jpg

bikestuff036.jpg

bikestuff033.jpg

bikestuff037.jpg

bikestuff039.jpg

bikestuff038.jpg

bikestuff040.jpg

bikestuff041.jpg

bikestuff042.jpg

bikestuff043.jpg

At least you guys see it that way, the better half doesn't quite get it. I took a couple days off to finish a rat rod bike for my bro. His Arashi and Jeep mountain bikes both bit it. Hmmmm, both made in Chickity China, shocking. I will get pics of his beast soon. Picked up a propane torch today. I am going to try and bend the truss rod guides on the top of the Shockmaster fork. Wish me luck, it could get smelly in my 'hood. The later model Shockmasters can be bent with a crescent wrench, but that's just too easy. Found a nice ratty period correct set of wheels I forgot about in the back of the storage cubby as well. I really need to inventory my parts, lol.

Sometimes it's more fun to come across a part that you forgot you had. I sometimes go back to my Kingfish's Finds thread to remind myself what I have tucked away here and there.

What did you do - looks like a prewar tubular fork with the '55 lower trusses. That's one nice thing about these forks - parts from all the different variations are interchangeable. I'm saving the two tubulars I have for a '38 and a '40 build. I still have 8 of these forks - different variations - waiting for a build. Great Forks! I'm really liking all the CWC Builds this year. Very anxious to see what your finish will look like when YOU are satisfied with it. Great Build! Robert

All the springer parts are pre-war. I have 3 sets of the tubular bottoms and three fork tops. I want to bend the truss rod guides up so the fork will rake out at the bottom. I need more heat. These old heavy cast forks are tough as nails! I am constantly changing this thing as I go, maybe an LED tea cup light would be sweet? Fiddling with tail light options as well. I just want to build a better bike then last year, one that can actually be ridden distances and carry a case of beer comfortably! :wink:

Anything new going on with this cool build?

'48 Hawthorne said:
There will be soon. It's been a tough couple weeks. We had to say 'goodbye' to our beloved rescued Dogo, also my helper in the garage :( It's hard to go out there without my four-legged friend.

Sorry to hear that! :cry: It's never easy. My dog passed away a couple years ago.She was also a rescue dog.She was such a lovely dog and was a member of the family and came everywhere with me, I miss her loads. Hope your doing ok and hope to see you continue with your cool build soon! :)

Terribly sorry for your family's loss :( The bike looks great :!: I love the front fender 8) 8)

Back