Creative truss rod ideas?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don´t hang me but I´ve never liked truss rods, they make the front look too heavy (sort of unbalanced).
I've been hanging here for a few days. I'm starting to get the itch to build something (although I don't have a stash of parts anymore).
I did these truss rods "eons" ago. The green bike was called "Snot Rocket". I tried to match the front rods at the same angle of the rear carrier supports, to make it look symmetrical and balanced.

The second bike was called Rats Alt. I wanted to match the downward angle of the rear rods, also for balance and symmetry. Those were made from two Spaceliner rear carriers.

001-251.jpg

DSC04725.jpg

I've been hanging here for a few days. I'm starting to get the itch to build something (although I don't have a stash of parts anymore).
I did these truss rods "eons" ago. The green bike was called "Snot Rocket". I tried to match the front rods at the same angle of the rear carrier supports, to make it look symmetrical and balanced.

The second bike was called Rats Alt. I wanted to match the downward angle of the rear rods, also for balance and symmetry. Those were made from two Spaceliner rear carriers.

001-251.jpg

DSC04725.jpg
Similar lines help and also when the fork is bent that much it also gives kind of a reason to make them.
Things need to be functional and there needs to be a reason for a choise to look right IMO. I don´t like "decorative only" kind of stuff.

I've always been more of a minimalist when it came to my bikes. But I can appreciate when someone is going for a certain look, and has to add decorative things. I call it artistic expression.

Similar lines help and also when the fork is bent that much it also gives kind of a reason to make them.
Things need to be functional and there needs to be a reason for a choise to look right IMO. I don´t like "decorative only" kind of stuff.

You’re not wrong about balance but I don’t think it means you should never use a certain part or style, just balance it out if you do . Since I’m doing some CWC/Hawthorne 2 spring truss rods with ape hangers no less, I will design accordingly. I’m doing a double headlight and a taillight plus a big gaudy Monark rear fender reflector, The saddle I choose must have a crash rail. A vintage chrome emergency pump mounted to seat post tube and Either a 2 leg center stand kickstand or a rear wheel drop down one. Then I’ll consider some axle caps but it might be too much
Im usually a “less is more” guy but if I’m gonna peacock Im gonna peacock so hard that even Floyd Mayweather would say “OK, you need to bring it down some”

Back