Cross two strength

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 2 1/2'' wide rim today. I have a two speed kickback hub I have been wanting to use.
The spokes I had laying around were 9 3/8'' long. I figured short spokes and a kickback hub
might work. It was just playing and I could have taken it apart if they didn't fit. Anyway
they laced perfect....but with a cross two. I wonder if its strong enough on a rear hub?
DSCF0002_zps383ea3b5.jpg

They look pretty good though...big for the back and little for the front.
DSCF0001_zpsf9e54901.jpg

CCR wonder what would happen....Maybe start breaking spokes or something?
I have done it on the front too without a problem.

I guess the only way to know will be to stick them on a bike and ride. If they break
I will change to longer spokes and do a cross three.

You're overthinking this. It isn't so much the quantity of crosses that make a wheelbuild strong; it's more about the angles. (There are other factors, as far pushing vs pulling spokes on rear driveside or disc hubs, but that's a moot point on a 2x, as you'll have an equal number of both pushing and pulling.

3x is famously strong mostly b/c, for most builds, the 3x will result in the best spoke angles on common rims sizes with 32 or 36h spoke counts and hubs with typical flange diameters. Exceptions to this include very small rims or hubs with very large flange diameters, or very high spoke counts. B/c your kickback has some fairly large-diameter flanges, I'm willing to bet it's gonna be ok for you...

Consider the nuvinci hubs: due to their huge flanges, the manufacturer strongly recommends a 2x pattern for both 26" and 700c wheels; the angles on a 3x would be too dramatic. This is on a rear IGH with (usually) a disc brake.

Basically, I just wrote 3 whole paragraphs to convey a simple message: Don't worry! 8)

Uncle Stretch said:
I guess the only way to know will be to stick them on a bike and ride. If they break
I will change to longer spokes and do a cross three.

That's the attitude I would have about it, I would start out trying to lay down some skid marks after a few rides around the block, if it holds up to skids then I would try standing up and cranking as hard as I could, if all looks good I would take it on an actual ride somewhere and just look them over when you get back, if the spokes break they will likely snap at the elbow going thru the flange. I'm guessing you should be fine but then again your bikes are probably the weight of 2 bikes too on 1 set of wheels :lol: :wink:

In the late 90's and early 2000's, Schwinn was doing cross 2 rears on their cruisers that came with a Nexus 7 hub. About 3 years ago, I bought a beat up 1998 Schwinn Cruiser Seven with a cross 2 rear. The wheel was in perfect shape, and it still is, today. I also had a 2001 Cruiser Deluxe 7, and it also was a cross 2. Like Bicycle808 said, your spoke angles are good with that large hub.

Personally, I would trust a cross 2 rear 100%. I think today's rims, spokes, and hubs are so much stronger than they were many decades ago, when the "3 cross rear" rule was laid down. I see some hard core roadies hammering around hard on wheels that have like 16 spokes!

Carbon fiber they ain't. This new one is at 40 pounds so far and I haven't got the
crank and chain on. Maybe if I leave the chevy motor off I will be ok. :shock: :shock:

Thanks everybody that chimed in. I was worried , but for now I will trust them. They look
so good I can't imagine they would break. :lol:

Maybe if you made a repop tail light out of carbon fiber it would help. :lol:
I don't even like Schwinns and that one is really good looking.

Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that the Bendix kickback hub works good.

that looks like the lacing on our Bianchi road bikes. I'd ride it without a second thought.

Yeah when you use to doing something a certain way it makes you nervous when
you change. I thought it looked good and the threads were all covered. The length
couldn't have been any better. So I will ride it and be a little more secure since its
been done on commercial bikes.

Uncle Stretch said:
Yeah when you use to doing something a certain way it makes you nervous when
you change. I thought it looked good and the threads were all covered. The length
couldn't have been any better. So I will ride it and be a little more secure since its
been done on commercial bikes.

There's about 1/8" of threads showing on the rear of this bike, after 50 miles (maybe more) still no squeaks, creaks or wiggles. Skids awesome too :lol: It will get relaced to a chrome S2 but I slapped it together to have a 2 speed on the ride. Have you ever checked some of the old bikes running around ... broken spokes, tension like spaghetti ... and they keep on trucking. If I can lay down some impressive skids for an hour messing around and the wheel I built is still true afterwards, it usually eases my mind.

IMG_6759_zps9085fe80.jpg

texasbigjon said:
those poor old tires are 3 years old and still haven't found a home! :lol: looks really good on those wheels.

I took a sponge with ajax and cleaned them up some. Its funny I have a pair of tan fat franks and each
time I think they found a home, I paint the bike some color and the tires look like crap. They are
about 5 years old and have never been ridden. Some day I will throw them away. :roll:

Yeah CCR at 62 I don't skid much. I'm luck to do a slow cruise around the neighborhood. I kinda
build bikes and am not that energetic to ride much....but I can build with the best of them. :wink:

Had a funny line about skid marks , but I will let it go.

Schwinn also used 2 cross as far back as '65 on the StingRays that had 2 speed kickbacks. Don't see a problem. Gary

Back