Crusty Flyer Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This build started off with a late 30s or early 40s western flyer frame. It was badly spray painted blue, and there was a steel plate sloppily welded in place of a tank. After stripping the paint, some grinding and sanding to remove the sheet metal "tank", and some rusting with a compound I mixed up, this is what I ended up with.
In this picture the head light is from a 60s tractor, and the crankset is from the teens or 20s. Those are the two parts that are definitely going on the finished bike.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I'M PULLING FOR YA BROTHER

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

By the way, since you are still new to the site, welcome aboard. And while you're playing catch up with the build off, how's about a little bit about yourself in the intros section HERE. Have fun!
Thank you, I just posted a bit of an intro. Really enjoying the site so far.

Last edited:
image.jpeg

I wanted something a little different than the average Balloon tire seat. This vintage wide Brooks is perfect. It's reminiscent of an early motorcycle seat and it matches the patina of my bike. I put three different types of leather preservatives and restorers on there so it should be good to go.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I needed a seat post that would allow the seat to go back far enough for the average adult to be able to ride the bike comfortably. It started off as an old mtn bike stem and with some cutting and grinding it turned into the main structure for my seat post. The other pice is a section of an actual seat post, held in with a heavy duty bolt and a metal shiv to keep it in place. I jumped around on it quite a bit to check its sturdiness. It is sturdy.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Being that I am not in any way an electrician, this took me a while to figure out. The light worked when I bought it, I just had to figure out a power source. I used 2 LED flashlight battery packs and the button from one of the flashlights. The ends are modified PVC irrigation caps, and the casing is a section of the down tube from a trashed bike frame. Surprisingly enough, it works. And I am able to change the batteries if they go bad.

View attachment 29122 View attachment 29123 View attachment 29124 View attachment 29125
Being that I am not in any way an electrician, this took me a while to figure out. The light worked when I bought it, I just had to figure out a power source. I used 2 LED flashlight battery packs and the button from one of the flashlights. The ends are modified PVC irrigation caps, and the casing is a section of the down tube from a trashed bike frame. Surprisingly enough, it works. And I am able to change the batteries if they go bad.
Great looking bike. Layback handlebar stem for a seatpost is a great idea.
Thank you Chad!

Back