Custom Diamondback "JOKER" ~~DONE, FINISHED, CONCLUDED!~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have thought about that too Uncle Fide, in fact I have some aluminium checker plate here that would be perfect, still deciding what, if anything I will do bashplate wise.

I am torn, it is very cool, but really, the way I will ride the bike it will never be used, so I guess I wonder if I am adding more complexity, weight and "stuff" to the build for no real purpose...

Anyway, here are some mock-ups, the first one is just the bashplate as I imagine it mounted, pretty hard to mock-up 3D, but I think you would get the idea:

14190532701_a41e1cf001_z.jpg

Here it is with the sprocket fitted, as you can see it is pretty much hidden and I may move it back a little further to hide it even more:

14170682956_501d8e1ab9_z.jpg

It does seem to tie in well with the new additions of seat tube and headtube braces I admit: (sizing is a bit off on this mock-up.)

14193827514_3b041afc5c_z.jpg

Luke.

So...
I bought a skateboard...

Luke.
Amazing how hard it is to find a black penny board in the cheap price bracket, I could have had my choice of red, yellow, blue, lime green, pink and purple for $10 but none of those would suit the build and style I wanted. I found some black ones for $40-50 but that was more than I wanted to spend considering I am still a bit unsure on the idea.

Tried the big box stores, the cheap import stores, the toy stores and struck out at them all, as my last ditch attempt before I left town and headed home I dropped into my local Target where I bought my Cyclops cruiser a while back, sure enough they had the cheap brightly coloured ones for $20 and the nice black ones for $40, by this point I was willing to pay the $40, but wanted to see the angle of the kick to make sure it was what I wanted and as it was boxed at that end, before I opened the packet I did as I always do and checked to see if there was already one out of the box on display and found this one, a quick glance told me it had the kick angle I wanted but when I flipped it over to check the profile of the deck moulding, I noticed the wheels were marked up, no doubt by someone riding it around the store, and so it had a reduced price sticker of $15! I tucked it under my arm and headed to the registers...

:rockout:

The idea of the skateboard deck came to me when I saw an original used Haro plastic bashplate on eBay (here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-199..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c4aabe53&_uhb=1 ) Yes that's right $399 for a piece of marked up plastic! Anyway, I noticed the shape and size were skateboard like:

14010798589_fe35d6a0bf_o.jpg

14174326906_3332267286_o.jpg

And here is the skateboard:

14197338474_bc28128f02_z.jpg

14194880152_0bb7786962_z.jpg

So, soon I will be cutting up the deck and making the mounts to fit it under the bottom bracket, should be very cool, it is nice and light without the trucks and wheels on it and should hold up well to abuse. ;)

Luke.

Been thinking on various BMX freestyle ideas from the past and a keep coming back to the "Bashguard" a guard usually made with two tubes from the downtube under the bb and joining back on to the chainstays and then covered in an aluminium or nylon grind pad.

Haro Master:

13980387270_6e3f07c542_o.jpg

GT Aggressor:

14163712271_af6b7816f9_o.jpg

And of course the Diamondback version, the DB Tailwhip:

14167019455_8390f28156_o.jpg

Thinking I might incorporate one onto the bike, it already has the downtube geometry similar to the GT and DB bikes shown above...

What do you guys think? Am I taking the freestyle idea too far?

Luke.
I loved my bashguard days, grinds to guard destruction!
I found, "U.H.M.D. plastic." Ultra high molecular density! Not even teflon with graphite impregnated in it. (Stuff on the bottom of skis' and snowboards.
You dropping in on that would probably get the same looks i got allyooping a mtb....

More pictures, more better.

Back