d.i.y. FENDER Roller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard the same about the knurling. It does tend to draw the fender into the wheels for you but marks the stainless fenders....so the guy I spoke with at the Memory Lane swap said he used to tape over the lower wheel. Eventually he machined off the knurls. Now you have to use more force to get the fender in the tool but no marking, and if you have original paint it does not mar it if the dings are not too bad. . Of course if the fender is pretty rough you'll have to refinish anyway as the paint won't stay on the fender if it is bent up badly.

8ball,Where did you find it and how much?

I forgot to ask.. is the small wheel equipped with any sort of ball bearing? And are the shafts just plain steel on steel with no bushes or bearings? Looks pretty simple to make from standard stuff, except for shaping the wheels.

Looks easy enough to make, the spring could be replaced with a shock from a cheap FS mountain bike, little welding, a BMX peg for the handle, flat stock and pipe, few bolts, and a little ingenuity. I could reverse engineer that thing like nobody's business. Thanks for the pictures.

Fleabay for purchase. Can't remember price, but $250ish. Spring only holds up roller so doesn't need to be too substantial. Can't tell if theres a bearing (its covered by spacer and spring clip), feels smooth like there is one. The fenders I've straightened were so far gone and rusty that knurling wouldn't show up. An aged fender in perfect rounded shape sure looks good upon completion.

you could do a peaked fender with it but get anywhere near the peak and it will be gone. From the conversation I had with the guy doing fenders at the meet, a special die set would be needed.. You would have to make it to match one side of the peak and do left and right half of the fender separately. I am thinking of experimenting with some hardwood dies....

Back