DAN GURNEY MONOSHOCK

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Scored this survivor 75 Dan Gurney Eagle Monoshock this week from the original owner. Bike has an aluminum Matthews girder fork and 1st gen Simi Valley Motomag 1's. Unfortunately the rear mag wheel is severely cracked at the base of two of the five arms and is junk at this point. Not sure if I'll have any luck finding a replacement. Was hanging in his parents garage rafters all this time.

dg001_low.jpg

dg002_low.jpg

I saw somebody had a rear mag like that for sale on the RRB facebook page... just a little while ago in fact.

Similar, but not the same.

This is the 1st generation version that would have been around in 1975.

Thanks for trying to help though. :wink1:

I take it the wheel smoopy has is wrong?

Yep...his is a later generation wheel. The Motomags on this bike are 1st gen. Simi Valley stamped Motomags.

Someone I know suggested taking the wheel to a good welder to have them repair it....might be a good idea.

Yea, definitely need a good welder. Those wheels are cast aren't they?

Here's the specs from vintagemongoose.com...

Motomag I - are made out of 356 aluminum alloy. They are of a gravity, centrifugal, permanent mold cast, heat treated to T-6 condition, shot peened for the rough finish, rim edges and tire beads machined, center bore machined for either front or rear wheel specifications, front axle cups installed for front wheels, coaster brakes press fit for rear wheels. These wheels were slow and difficult to cast.

Yea, that's definitely beyond my capabilities. But someone with alot of experience and a tig machine should be able to do it.

Welding cast anything is tough, but the aluminum is another animal.
But with all the custom shops in your area, I'm sure there's someone that can pull it off.

Try getting in touch with Brian Bass, dude is an incredible welder/craftsman..................and he's in Texas.

Yep...he's about 15 minutes away from my office. I see him in his coupe at lunch time from time to time.

We'll see if he can at least give input on how hard it would be to fix.

Kool bike that's fer sure , I would have been about 11 at that time I think ther was a dude rollin around the neighborhood on one of those , we had a big BMX track a block up the road from my house .
Good memories.

Back