"Death proof" JC Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet ride!!! Double check the way you have the rocker arms though. I don't think that is the correct arrangement of them. Something just doesn't look right.

I think you have the correct left and right positioning, but I think the rocker arms should be inside of both the fork and the springer blade.

I think you have the correct left and right positioning, but I think the rocker arms should be inside of both the fork and the springer blade.
I was going by the picture I took of the fork when I got it. Maybe the previous owner switched them. I'll try it the other way. Thanks Gil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok double checked the rocker arms. I think because I don't have the fender brace on them they look odd. Here's a closer pic from the front POV . The way its sitting it let's the bearing brace avoid the fork.

Also, if you think about the mechanics of the springer, in you current config, as the rocker goes up when you hit a bump, then inside knee of you rocker is going to bind on the stationary fork blade.

After googling around and looking at other Higgins beehives, I am still almost certain that the rockers should be moved inside of the both the fork and the springer blade.
Take a look at @Will & Wendy 's Higgins
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index....gins-parting-out-next-week.81726/#post-793004
Thanks for the link and I see what your saying but he doesn't have the same hardware I have. If I used a smaller bolt I could set it up like that. But I have original bolts they are too thick to work the other way.

I looked through the Higgins gallery and I can see them assembled in a multitude of ways, so in the end, as long as it operates well, all is good.

EDIT: I am no expert on these forks either. I was just going by photos. Now that I sidetracked you, you can continue on with this cool build!!! :)

To me your an expert. So any advise you share is greatly appreciated. I'm new to building ratrods and you have built many awesome bikes. To have your feedback on my build thread is pretty cool. Thanks...

Ok back to the build. The vision I had in my head is to go with ape hangers. But I have a set of bars that I bought from sensor (plan9customs) for another bike. But for now will put them on he re.

For the seat I wanna put a seat pan. In the movie the nova had a removable seat pan. So I think that would be pretty cool. But for now I'll use a seat I have for another project.

When I bought this seat it came with the sticker. Growing up with hotrods I couldn't bring myself to take it off. And it kinda goes with the theme of this bike.

Gotta say these bars are awesome. Sensor did a fantastic job. Sent them to me already painted black.

Next the sprocket. My favorite sprocket has to be the AMF star pattern. I'm going to use this sprocket because I'm gonna put a color chain on here and I don't think they have colors for skip-tooth chains. I'm going to paint the sprocket flat black also.

Back