DELAERO #369 ...Paint 7/6

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am still trying to finish my other build, before I can start, But the plan is to finally build my 36 Elgin with a snyder springer and deco era styling with aircraft accents, probably silver gray with maroon scallops, and this one is getting a real spray gun paintjob, it just might take a bit before I can start.pictures monday

Re: DECAERO #369 1st pics

.....Las Vegas Nevada, 2:30 Am Sept 24th 1936 in a private conference room at the back of Apache Hotel sat a couple of figures who were getting a little loud and spilling a few drinks, as the smoke poured into the ceiling fan and dispersed into the room, Aircraft designer .... Palmer & Industrialist Howard Hughes were discussing the H1 and drinking troubles away from the reprocutions of an auto accident where a man was killed. In walks another industrialist inventor Vincent Bendix and gets invited to sit down with the crew. Somewhere in this conversation with airplanes and technology thoughts were turned to a bicycle sitting in the back of Hughes Packard, Even though he wouldn't admit it Vincent overspent his fortune and things were looking bleak, Howard came up with a promotional Idea that could bring the Bendix name back in the limelight for a new generation, lost on a cocktail napkin lies the plans of Decaero #369 the plan was to build a aerodynamic bike with wheel pods made out of aluminum and a tank plate advertising Bendix at the next highly promoted H1 test flight, although nothing was ever documented of this meeting or plans never materialized on the Elgin in the back of the Packard......this is a tribute of what could have been....

Re: DECAERO #369 The History....

yup ya got me, hook line and sinker.

what ya doing? huh? huh? wheres this going? awww come on give us a clue. :)

Re: DELAERO #369 1st part 2 start BADGE

A little progress this weekend I got some disassembly done (without breaking anything) the stem came out woo hoo took off the bars,seat and post came out,forks ,bearing cups,still have to cut a bolt off the rear fender to free it, I have a straight skiptooth wheelset with a bendix rear hub, but I like the aircooled Elgin hub also, but in the build theme I may go Bendix, and I am going to have to shorten the spriger fork headtube and rethread if possible,,,,,I have a long ways to go in a short time, my normal buildoff technique :wink:

Cool Headbadge. Great story. Mysterious Bike for Mysterious man.

Got it down to the bare bones, seat got bead blasted yesterday , (this is the before pic )[img]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/holyrollin72/eventrail001.jpg[/img][img]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/holyrollin72/eventrail002.jpg[/img]Then I got the badge yesterday, it looks great!!!!, and heres the frame before I sand it down[img]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/holyrollin72/eventrail012.jpg[/img].......NEWS FLASH !!!!!!Recently discovered documents unearthed in the delapidated office of former resident Vincent Bendix, long lost renderings of a bicycle design , at the time Vincent thought it would revolutionize streamlining for Johnny the paperboy, or Chuck the grocery deliverer. as far as this reporter knows , the designs never materialized, the documents are at this time being evaluated for restoration and display, We will keep you updated.....

Re: DELAERO #369 Update & News Flash

Love deco stuff and '30s aircraft styles - looking forward to this one!

Tragedy !! Follow up to a previous story aired on the lost documents of the Delaero #369, The documents in question were very weathered blueprints of the a bicycle designed in a partnership with Howard Hughes & Vincent Bendix, while enroute to the Smithsonian Institute for restoration. The courier van was highjacked for the cargo by the occupents of two nondescript white cargo vans with four armed leatherclad carrying hi tech looking billet weapons, The courier escaped unharmed, the only clue is one of the suspects had a Pacific Cycle T shirt......this reporter is just shocked...updates soon !!!!! Hopefully get some bare metal showing this weekend, and if I get real crazy a coat of primer.

Gold Street Customs said:
The courier escaped unharmed, the only clue is one of the suspects had a Pacific Cycle T-Shirt on.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: So True. Ripped the world of good bike name.

Re: DELAERO #369 Tragedy...build will continue

Now I said four not six...
Wingman position right after taking off...
GSC if someone get´s at your six... shake it baby! :wink: :D

Back