DeLorean transformed.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a continuation of TheFlyingDingo's DMC-12/ Silver Bullet found here (Im the new owner):

viewtopic.php?t=25590

This is what I had to start with, a wonderful 60's Schwinn coaster brake cruiser rebuilt (very well) from the ground up with mostly new parts. (if anyone can tell me the name/ age range of this frame that would be GREAT)

Bikes002.jpg

Instead of me trying to BS through what was done to it before me, here's what was done to it in the creators words:

This custom schwinn looks fast, and glides smooth. With mostly new parts, this bike almost looks perfect. The frame was painted with a high quality automotive paint, not rattle can. It was not cleared to give it a matte look, almost like bare metal. The fork was rattled a darker grey/silver, Which mimics that of a Deloreans plastic front bumper (Stainless steel, with plastic darker bumper)

A cruiser bike, with BMX attitude, The tioga Spider stands out with the shiny SR Cr-Mo Cranks (i believe theyre hollow...Very light!) and the flat black paint looks great with the silver. Brand new bottom bracket parts (Cups and bearings, since the hardware didnt fit on cranks) provide a smooth crank turn. Brand new black chain. Like New X-Wheel in the rear end, with smooth rolling coaster brake. Newer tires, many miles left on them. Curved bars with a NOS Boom Neck, Newer grips. Brand new head set on the schwinn fork. Old school Seat, from an older Schwinn Probe, comfortable and looks great. Red Schwinn badge from another schwinn (I belive it came off a schwinn sprint)

This bike would turn heads at a bike show, or cruising around town. With all of the new parts this bike should last for years to come.

Since it has been in my possession I have changed the look of it quite a bit. I am giving up many of its sleek features for more function. I am a big guy (tall), so I unfortunately had to get rid of the sleek drag bars. I tried a different stem to bring them higher up and further back, but it still was a bit uncomfortable for me, and I REALLY wanted to keep the sweet looking boom stem.

SANY0519-1.jpg

IMO that tall chrome stem looked like CRAP. So I put the black boom stem back on, and bought a new set of black cruiser bars for it (pics to come).

I also added a new (well, different) seat. Like I said before, Im big. 6'5" 250 lbs to be exact. So all of that weight on that sleek banana seat just KILLED my pelvis. Dingo, luckily, had a very nice classic BikeWay suspension saddle he so graciously gave me. It feels like youre riding a couch, I simply love it. It didnt really fit the sleek lines of the bike, but IMO it fits the overall look in its own certain way. A little armor all and chrome polish made the thing look brand new.

SANY0521-2.jpg

SANY0522.jpg

Even with 250 lbs riding on it, it still hangs in suspension and glides over bumps, rarely ever bottoming out.

A new set of black leather/ silver rubber grips are on order for it (the plain black rubber grips on the black bars were too bland), and Im looking into different pedal options to set the overall look off. I also want to look into different hub options. As much as I love the single speed coaster brake, I plan to take this to Mackinaw Island, and with the current gearing those long steep hills are NOT happening. I DEFINITELY want to stay internal and cable-less (thinking about a kickback shift) but know very little about them, or who makes them.

Updates and more pics to come!

This is what it looks like as of today. The grips are going to be gone soon, as well as the pedals. Im debating whether or not to do anything with the crank, as its the only piece of chrome on the bike. Im also thinking about changing the head badge. The red just doesnt jive with the theme Im going towards. A dark grey background to match the fork with white lettering might work. Or maybe something completely custom and one off.

SANY0520.jpg

SANY0521.jpg

SANY0526.jpg

SANY0527.jpg

SANY0524.jpg

Heres a couple of options I have found for pedals. Id like the primary color to be black, with a hint of silver.

$20 Eleven81's
31IJ8O01s%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

$24 BBB's
41aRMJ9Mb8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now, I really like these. I have absolutely no plans to buy a pair of riding shoes, but I like the mechanical look they have.

$30 Wellgo's
413c0OtEMOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

New pedals are on. I wanted some two-tone pedals to match the black/ silver color scheme, some without reflectors, something with more detail, and some that fit the style a bit better.

Not the exact same ones, but very similar.

pedals_wellgosquarecaged.jpg

I also am thinking about adding a different chain. I saw a BMX with a 1/2 link chain, and thought it looked great. Though, Im undecided on color. Keep it black....or go silver. Hmmmmmmm.......

chain-kweg-half-solid.jpg

A repaint might be in order for the sprocket too. The black paint is flaking off around the mounting/ bolt holes and teeth, revealing the reddish primer underneath. This isnt a result of a bad paint job IMO. I climb hills with this every time its out, and put all of my 250 lbs on the crank (single speed FTW). Its just enough to move the sprocket around its mount (infinitesimal as it may be) and flake the paint. Not a big deal.

TheFlyingDingo said:
Nice choice of parts-Lets see that chain on the bike!

Ive always wanted one of those chains.

If you would like, I can find out what black paint i used to paint...

Not necessary. The powdercoat on my jeep's bumper is coming off, I may just let the sprocket go with it when I have it redone. If not I have some ultra hard finish lacquer left over from when I painted the antenna mounts on the jeep.

If you want, PM me your email. I got ahold of that file with all of the DMC documents, but its huge (45mb) and needs to be sent as an attachment.

And guess what! I found the same tires you put on this at the local Dunhams for $9/ ea! Im debating whether or not to buy one so I have a spare in case they stop making them.

VERY cool bike - and although maybe not quite as "sleek" as before, still looks great. I like the fact, that - like me - you actually ride it, and therefore are making changes to make it more rideable, committing to function over form.
As an aside, and just my opinion, I think the red headbadge makes kind of a nice highlight and added sportiness against the neutral grays and blacks of the rest of the bike (kind of like the red grille surround on my old silver '83 VW GTI!), and kind of the same effect with the chrome on the crank - just some highlights and details that catch your eyes. 8)

Back