derailer onto older frames?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also on the point of derailleurs being unreliable I have had this bike for almost 3 years and do this daily. I ride it hard with or without the trailer. Never had a problem with it yet and I have hauled some 400+lb loads with ease. I also have 2 more trailers that I can hook behind this one. I've hauled scrap to and from the scrapyard, furniture, appliances, bikes, groceries, people, just about anything.
P8100002.jpg

OK, since I started this thread, I've been gettin my Huffy together; it works/rides great. BTW, the rear brakes bolted rite onto the fender bracket like my newer Huffy. Here's a pic...
redhuffyetc069.jpg

redhuffyetc077.jpg

I'm gonna weigh in on this one a little bit:

I love IGH drivetrains. I do. But, word on the street is, they kinda suffer with offroad use. Anything but the direct drive gear (which is "2" on a Strumey 3 speed) is a bit weak in high-torque situations. Like you might experience off-road. Also, generally speaking, you shouldn't run anything lighter than a 2:1 ratio (Based on the direct drive, meaning your front sprocket should have at least twice as many teeth as your rear cog.) with them. That's the manufacturer's recommendations; i know millions of ppl have been running lower ratios with "no problems", but if you do run a ratio lower than a 2:1 on the direct drive, and it blows up, that's no one's fault but your own. FWIW, I wouldn't want to run a 3 speed offroad with the 2:1 sprocket cog, b/c that might be kinda steep on the hills. It'll prolly be good enough for the trails near me, but serious hillfolk might want something lower.

I'm not speaking from direct experience here; I had intended to build up a cruiser frame with a Sturmey xrd3 for use on trails, but my internet research and warnings from my friends dissuaded me. Sturmey's aren't cheap. And, while they are easy and reliable to work on, they are admittedly more work to rebuild then a derailer system. More steps for tire changes, too.

To solve the brake issue, look into getting one of these (Yeah, i know the OP already built his bike up, but this is cool):http://www.ebay.com/itm/400152111079?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 I grabbed one; haven't used it yet, but I got it in the bin, just in case.... (126mm O.L.D.)

Came in brand-new condition, but the grease is so old, the bearings feel stiff. I'll need to rebuild before i use it.

Either way, I'm happy we got choices between derailer gears and IGH gears. Viva la difference!
-rob

MadMax '58 said:
Looks Great!! :D Make your chain a few links longer so the derailer has a little less tension on it.
Like on the Flightliner above. It'll work a bit better too. My 2 cents. :D :D
...yes, I noticed that, plan to do so; just got it up n ridin with what I had and had to take it out for a ride.

Back