disc brakes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Now with all the hype on Klunkers, what is the deal on Disc brakes, are they only found on high end bikes, are disc set-ups adaptable to any wheel set, Have they been around for a long time, I have never seen a set until today while I was in Boston and seen them on the Police Bikes around the city.

I've never used them but I think there are disc brake hubs that the rotor bolts to.

I remember seeing them about 10 years ago on Mountain Bikes.
Probably been around longer. It seems the prices are dropping
quickly on them. They come on a lot of mid-range bikes now.

stephen said:
Disc brakes - how to make a good bike look naff!
what does naff mean?

As far as ive noticed...disc brakes are becoming popular and cheap now.
Ifirst saw them in the 90's on the expensive MTB's, then i figured out they were on some vintage bikes. theres alot more pieces on the older ones, like the new ones, those only need the brake caliper, a cable, the pads, and a lever...plus the special hub.

K-mart has a mongeese now with complete(front/back) disc brakes, im considering going and getting one for one of my klunker builds...but the thought of spending $200 on a bike to tear it apart scares me...lol

TheFlyingDingo said:
stephen said:
Disc brakes - how to make a good bike look naff!
what does naff mean?

"Naff = British slang, describes something that is stupid, lame or unpalatable."

I saw that earlier today and had to look it up from urbandictionary. :mrgreen:
And I disagree, I kinda like the look of disc brakes.

hydraulic would rule. I think there would be a eye pleasing solution might require a custom rotor. Or do a classy cover to make it look old school. I would rock em on my stingray if I wasn't so lazy and poor.

I've been using disc brakes for about 10 years on various mountain bikes. I would have to say that for mountain biking the development of disc have been possibly better than the development of suspension. They STOP under all conditions(wet, muddy etc) and I've never had to screw with them. My first mtbs were the traditional rim brakes, which I would never own again.... on ANY bike. However I will say having had both hydraulic and mechanical, the hydraulics are over engineered for the purpose and a good set of mechanical is all that are really necessary.

how about running pocket bike discs on a klunker? they're more crude, not so delicate looking at high end bicycle discs.

from the X-18::

9563534_o.jpg

That's good.I've hit frogs and stuff before but I wouldn't want to clean that up. :D

Back