Dragoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago I was unemployed and spent my free time working on the neighorhood kids bikes. Fixing flats and changing bent wheels and such. All the kids kept an eye out for bikes and bike parts for me and donated them in exchange for me keeping their bikes going. One day one of them told me that their uncle had an old bananna seat bike he was going to haul off with a load of scrap metal. He took me to his uncles house and he showed me the bike and I bought it for the price of scrap metal. I didn't know what it was but I liked it. The bike was very rusty and the wheels were shot. I tore it down and started cleaning the rust off. You could see an outline were the stickers used to be on the chainguard. It said Dragoon so with this information I started searching on line for information. I found a few Murray Eliminators that looked like it but no Dragoons. I finally found one site with a pic of a bike identical and it said it a Flying O made by Murray for Otasco stores. I got a new job and the bike set in a shed at parents house for several years until one day I finally got around to painting it metal flake green then hung it up in the shed for a few more years. I was going through my parents shed and found the bike and decided it was time to finish it. My brother gave a set of wheels and matching Tractor Grip tires he had and I started putting the bike together. I still need to add pedals, chain, and grips but here is what it looks like so far.

I love these handle bars and tall sissy bar
Dragoon1.jpg

Dragoon2.jpg

and the huge chain guard.
Dragoon3.jpg

The tires are a bit weather cracked but not bad for their age.
Dragoon4.jpg

Dragoon5.jpg

I am a bit dissapointed about how the bike sets. I wish the handle bars were taller. I could lower the seat and it would probably look better but it would be hard for me to ride. I might finish it up and try to sell it or trade it for a bigger bike.

I had a bike with that frame when i was a kid, Mine was a Hiawatha from the Gambles hardware store. It's supposed to have a 16" wheel on the front.

that sure looks alot like a western flyer front sprocket. they also had alot of wierd frames and extravagant chain guards.
IMG_1683.jpg

Miss_Buzz_Bike.jpg

ccm cobra's sported similar bars (up here in canada) there alittle longer than the ones on your bike, might be worth looking into finding a set.
cobra.jpg

Looks like my Otasco Flying - O Eliminator.......frame and chainguard at least.

2809134711_d855deed1d_b.jpg

2809982810_d4c95268de_b.jpg

otasco was an automotive/appliance retailer correct? (dont got em up here in canada)

icyuod2 said:
that sure looks alot like a western flyer front sprocket. they also had alot of wierd frames and extravagant chain guards.
IMG_1683.jpg

Miss_Buzz_Bike.jpg

ccm cobra's sported similar bars (up here in canada) there alittle longer than the ones on your bike, might be worth looking into finding a set.
cobra.jpg

I am pretty sure the sprocket is original and I have found a few more pics of bikes with the same frame and the same style chainguard and they are all Murray mark II elimanators or Flying O's. I have seen these sprockets on several different brand bikes. Thanks for trying to help identify it though but I am almost certain it is a Murray made Flying O. I will keep an eye out for ccm bars.

Lightfoot said:
I had a bike with that frame when i was a kid, Mine was a Hiawatha from the Gambles hardware store. It's supposed to have a 16" wheel on the front.

I don't know if this was originally had a 16 inch front wheel but it is possible as the forks that came with it were not original. I found one site that shows some original advertisements for Murray mark II eliminators showing 16 inch and 20 inch front wheels. I like the 20 inch front since it makes the apes taller. I don't think I could ride this one with a 16 inch front wheel.

blink said:
Looks like my Otasco Flying - O Eliminator.......frame and chainguard at least.

2809134711_d855deed1d_b.jpg

2809982810_d4c95268de_b.jpg

I just saw that one in the build section and thought the same thing. Cool bikes

icyuod2 said:
otasco was an automotive/appliance retailer correct? (dont got em up here in canada)

Correct. We no longer have them here either. The company went out of business in the late 80's.

I don't know if this was originally had a 16 inch front wheel but it is possible as the forks that came with it were not original. I found one site that shows some original advertisements for Murray mark II eliminators showing 16 inch and 20 inch front wheels. I like the 20 inch front since it makes the apes taller. I don't think I could ride this one with a 16 inch front wheel.

I stand corrected. I had never seen that frame type without the 16" font wheel before, but i just found this one http://www.geocities.com/chopperama/markselim3spd.jpg

I don't know why, but some reason these bikes remind me of a cobra... snake. I think it's the wild chainguard and the wild loops in the back part of the frame... Cool.

BrigmasterA said:
I don't know why, but some reason these bikes remind me of a cobra... snake. I think it's the wild chainguard and the wild loops in the back part of the frame... Cool.

They actually had a picture of a cobra riding a bike on the chain guard.

My Murray Jet fire has the same sprocket.
All of these bikes were built by Murray for various stores, Western Auto, Otasco, etc. Also seen on late 30's Murray built Elgins and JC Higgins for Sears. ~Adam

Back