Drilling New Spoke Holes in Hub? Completed 8/19

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Drilling New Spoke Holes in Hub?

I used my "washer on the spoke head" method to lace up my trike wheels, I hauled loads of bikes home with it (we're talking sometimes 10+ at a time), plus my weight (and I'm not skinny), Plus I had coaster brakes on it, Not to mention the occasional 2 wheel standing, and I never had a problem with it. It did creak a little when I was tightening the spokes though. Other than that everything was pretty normal.

Just an update on the "To Drill or Not to Drill" saga. It made sense to first try the approach that would do the least harm if something were to go south. I searched what seemed like the entire eastern seaboard and if I could find any of the teeny washers I wanted, they'd only have a few. I ended up finding some in brass and after much debate I decided that since I'm using black spokes perhaps the brass would tarnish to a black color anyway so I went for it. Below is a few pics. I like the way it turned out and think it's a great fix without having to resort to drilling, which I have no doubt would have worked just fine. Anyway, here's the final outcome. Sorry the wheel is not on the bike. I need to spread my front forks an inch before mounting.
MonarkButterflyer090.jpg

MonarkButterflyer095.jpg

MonarkButterflyer092.jpg

MonarkButterflyer093.jpg

Pudge said:
Just an update on the "To Drill or Not to Drill" saga. It made sense to first try the approach that would do the least harm if something were to go south. I searched what seemed like the entire eastern seaboard and if I could find any of the teeny washers I wanted, they'd only have a few. I ended up finding some in brass and after much debate I decided that since I'm using black spokes perhaps the brass would tarnish to a black color anyway so I went for it. Below is a few pics. I like the way it turned out and think it's a great fix without having to resort to drilling, which I have no doubt would have worked just fine. Anyway, here's the final outcome. Sorry the wheel is not on the bike. I need to spread my front forks an inch before mounting.
MonarkButterflyer090.jpg

MonarkButterflyer095.jpg

MonarkButterflyer092.jpg

MonarkButterflyer093.jpg

Sweet choice man. besides who really looks at the hubs close enough to really notice? Can't wait to see it on the bike!

This looks great and I'm glad you had this issue and figured out how to fix it because I have a front drum brake hub that I will be doing the same thing to in a while

Ok, I can see them suggesting drilling, on THAT particular hub! But I think the washers worked out better, at least a bit less tedious than trying to drill 36 holes perfectly centered! -Adam

Thanks guys. Compliments from the likes of you all, who have so many builds under your belt and have done so much, mean a lot. It's very inspiring and motivating to see your replies. I can't wait to get this bike done. I'm so close I can taste it!

I take my first born son to college tomorrow! The car is packed and we're taking off in at sunrise. Obviously, it's a big event; the very first kid on my wife's branch of the family tree to go to college! Once he's all settled into his dorm room and kicks us out so he can start chasing girls I'll be engrossing myself in finishing this bike. I'll need something to keep busy! Expect final pics coming soon.

Thanks again,
Pudge

Pudge said:
Thanks guys. Compliments from the likes of you all, who have so many builds under your belt and have done so much, mean a lot. It's very inspiring and motivating to see your replies. I can't wait to get this bike done. I'm so close I can taste it!

I take my first born son to college tomorrow! The car is packed and we're taking off in at sunrise. Obviously, it's a big event; the very first kid on my wife's branch of the family tree to go to college! Once he's all settled into his dorm room and kicks us out so he can start chasing girls I'll be engrossing myself in finishing this bike. I'll need something to keep busy! Expect final pics coming soon.

Thanks again,
Pudge
Sweet man, I don't really have that many builds under my belt.....well not good ones anyway, I just been a backyard builder since I was young. Just know what works..... :mrgreen:

you might be able to brush the brass with ammonia to turn it black.

I am surprised at all the fear of drilling the hub. I work in a custom machine shop and have made hubs for a small, but pretty well known bike company and was surprised how simple the whole setup was. I wouldn't recommend doing it by hand, but with a drillpress, it's definitely doable. A big manufacturer would definitely advise against it because of liability. Heck, some of the modified frames that some of our fellow rat rodders are cruising are a whole lot more dangerous than a modified hub IMHO. Either way, your solution looks sweet! Cruise it!

Back