Drop-out adj. screw ???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RATBIKE2.jpg

My drop-out adj. screws are bent, stripped & rusted beyound repair, the thread on the housing in the frame also rusted & lost to time.

I know that Paul makes a replacement: http://www.paulcomp.com/dropouts.html

I'm sure I could eventually find an old bike to cut out donors from.

Really, from a safety aspect how important are they? I always thought they were there for quick alinement? Wouldn't a scribed line on the frame or Rubber gromments placed in the axle opening accomplish the same thing?

Thanks

The main reason that they are there is to keep the axle from pulling forward (typically just happens on the drive side) if you don't crank down on the axle nuts.

One of my bikes, very similar to yours actually, is missing them completely. I keep the axle nuts quite tight and it hasn't been a problem.
I was actually thinking recently, is there a common size bolt/screw from the hardware store that can be used in place of the fancy original style???

Without the treads in that cylinder housing a adjuster bolt could be held in place with nuts on either end. That would accomplish the same effect. mayve use an alan head bolt with the head toward the axle.

On mine that cylinder housing isn't true anymore due to rust. So, That might not work for me. However maybe I could clean it up a bit with a dremel?

Fe2O3 said:
Without the treads in that cylinder housing a adjuster bolt could be held in place with nuts on either end. That would accomplish the same effect. mayve use an alan head bolt with the head toward the axle.

On mine that cylinder housing isn't true anymore due to rust. So, That might not work for me. However maybe I could clean it up a bit with a dremel?

i can think of no compelling reason to go to that trouble.

Sounds like we move this to the Non-Issue folder.

Thank you for your help.

Back