Ebay charged me 9 1/2% final value fee on........shipping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You heard me right. They are charging the seller a 9 1/2 % fee on the shipping. On top of what they already charge for selling on Ebay! I couldn't believe it. They are getting 18% now on every sale! Unreal. So when you go to sell your vintage or rat bike remember to add into the handling charges an additional $14-$18 for final fees on shipping. Unreal!

That has been in effect since mid-2011. Yes it is a big ripoff. Best to put a high shipping cost.to cover it and don't let the calculator handle it. It happened because sellers had .99 cent listings with $100 shipping cost.

Sped Man said:
You heard me right. They are charging the seller a 9 1/2 % fee on the shipping. On top of what they already charge for selling on Ebay! I couldn't believe it. They are getting 18% now on every sale! Unreal. So when you go to sell your vintage or rat bike remember to add into the handling charges an additional $14-$18 for final fees on shipping. Unreal!

It is a little steep...not sure how you come up with 18% though. I sell on Ebay and total fees usually average about 10- 11% of the total. The advantage is being able to reach a huge market. If you sell using any sort of brokerage consignment or auction service the fees are typically more like 20%. The theory is that you will sell it for more than you could on your own.

If you are trying to sell a Rat Bike then throw it up on this site first and see what happens.

I called Ebay today. Their excuse is that sellers have been charging more for shipping than necessary. Hence they came up with this fee. I asked them if Ebay plans on giving the 9 1/2% back to the buyer. I was told no. Then I ask: how does this help anyone but Ebay? She couldn't answer me. I was told to add this extra cost into the handling. Can you believe their BS story?

2manybikes said:
Sped Man said:

It is a little steep...not sure how you come up with 18% though. I sell on Ebay and total fees usually average about 10- 11% of the total. The advantage is being able to reach a huge market. If you sell using any sort of brokerage consignment or auction service the fees are typically more like 20%. The theory is that you will sell it for more than you could on your own.

If you are trying to sell a Rat Bike then throw it up on this site first and see what happens.

Lets do the math:

The item sold for $220 x 9 1/2% equals $20.25
Shipping of $109.40 x 9 1/2% equals $10.39
Other fees duration fee .40 and something else
Total fees of $33

Averages out at 14% they are making on $220 without adding in what Paypal (Ebay) charges (3 % fee) for processing. IF we add that in we are at 17% or more.

It's probably because people have been selling stuff cheap but with high shipping to avoid the seller's fees. They are not a nonprofit outfit.

Just curious, what happens if you list with a padded reserve with free shipping? What I mean is figure out shipping to farthest destination & add that to the price you want for the item. Make sense? :?

Your math is a little skewed. The total sale was $329 with $33 in fees which works out to 9.4%.
As a LONNNNNGGG time ebay seller, you just have to learn to factor that into either your price or your s&h.
It's one of the costs of doing biz via their national medium. No different a regular company factoring in increased gas prices into the cost of their products.

pick said:
Just curious, what happens if you list with a padded reserve with free shipping? What I mean is figure out shipping to farthest destination & add that to the price you want for the item. Make sense? :?

Sounds good but it works best for those who get discounts from UPS. Normal guys and gals don't. Hence if we did that our prices would seem very high compared to someone offering a similar product at a low price combined with a low UPS shipping price due to their discounts.

Without those discounts shipping is ridiculous. To ship a bicycle 5 years ago cost $50 from Tucson Arizona to Chicago. Today $165 from Chicago to Tucson Arizona. This is without adding in Ebay's 9 1/2% final Value fee on Shipping or the cost of buying the box, and packing material.

You know what I will try this tactic. I'll get back to you on this one. I currently have several items on Ebay.

I have sold items on ebay for more than 12 years. I have learned you have to keep track of what they are doing! So, that's how I have been listing my items lately. I just try to figure the costs of selling into my reserve price. 80% of the time if my item doesn't sell, I relist it & it does. Go Figure, makes no sense to me but that's how it works most of the time. Plus, you can re-list a second time with no fees. Another interesting fact is if you offer free shipping, your listing shows up higher on the list when someone does a search. I think you just have to figure out how to play the game their way & cover your costs at the same time. Just food for thought. BTW I have learned these things the hard way, as usual! :oops:

This is nothing new, they have been charging for shipping for a while now. I think it's wrong, but something needed to be done with the people selling things cheap and reaping benefits on the large shipping charges. This solves that. I do however, think it is too much . . if you play the game right, you don't even get enough shipping to cover the shipping. Therefore, you must tweak the numbers a bit.

OK, this is KIND OF on topic.

I'm sure others here have bought small items that ship directly from China before. I've bought some LEDs and some Nintendo DS stylus pens for my kids, but these things have been CHEAP!

I just got an iPhone case today that I bought a couple weeks back on eBay, straight from China. I paid $1.49 for it.

How is it even possible for them to ship it for that, let alone buy/produce it? How about the eBay fees? How about the exchange rate? I just don't get it.

yoothgeye said:

I'm sure others here have bought small items that ship directly from China before. I've bought some LEDs and some Nintendo DS stylus pens for my kids, but these things have been CHEAP!

I just got an iPhone case today that I bought a couple weeks back on eBay, straight from China. I paid $1.49 for it.

How is it even possible for them to ship it for that, let alone buy/produce it? How about the eBay fees? How about the exchange rate? I just don't get it.

I try not to buy direct from China since I've ended up with some junky knock off things by accident. I don't understand the financial part of it or how I can get something from China faster than I can from just a couple states away.

yoothgeye said:

How much is the shipping/handling, they usually hide the cost in there

I know the auctions that yoots is talking about. The total price including shipping from China is a buck fidy.

KZ1000 said:
How much is the shipping/handling, they usually hide the cost in there

Well, I looked back, it wasn't $1.50 it was $2.49 with free shipping. But still, I couldn't afford to send an item in a padded envelope across the country, let alone the world, for that price, plus, like I said, the eBay fees and all that junk. On top of that, it was a single auction on eBay, just 1 new item, not one of those with 100 available.

It was bait to get your paypal information and location so they can use it to fund their upcoming invasion of NE NC.

kingfish254 said:
It was bait to get your paypal information and location so they can use it to fund their upcoming invasion of NE NC.

I was wondering why they asked about my mom's maiden name and the name of my childhood pet...

yoothgeye said:

it has be known that these companies that make knockoffs usually pay workers by giving them shelter (a room with a lot more people) and also pay them the equivalent of around $10 dollars a week. they also work really fast. see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meo7DZPLWRY

most can't even afford to pay rent and that's why an architect invented the bike house
innovative_chinese_bike_house_GjdHV_640_08.jpg

Chinese_House_on_the_Bike_2.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back