ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for fun I made a couple of little covers for the drop stand bolts. It's actually an elevator bolt with a metal disc welded to it. I'm not sure what these discs where for, I bought a handful of them at a flea market a couple of years ago. After they where welded I put each of them in my drill and used a scotch brite pad to shine them up.

If I keep them, I'll add the ELGIN logo to them.
Decoluxe stand disc.jpg

Just for fun I made a couple of little covers for the drop stand bolts. It's actually an elevator bolt with a metal disc welded to it. I'm not sure what these discs where for, I bought a handful of them at a flea market a couple of years ago. After they where welded I put each of them in my drill and used a scotch brite pad to shine them up.

If I keep them, I'll add the ELGIN logo to them.View attachment 26661
And here's another reason I'm glad I'm not in the build off this year! :praise:

And here's another reason I'm glad I'm not in the build off this year! :praise:

Yeah, the talent/competition keeps getting better and better each build-off! I've learned to just build what you like and have fun with it! As good as you are, there's ALWAYS someone just a little bit better (or in my case, MUCH better). I'm a winner this year just by all the positive comments I've gotten on my leaf-springer fork build.

Looking forward to your next build thread! You do good work!

Yeah, the talent/competition keeps getting better and better each build-off! I've learned to just build what you like and have fun with it! As good as you are, there's ALWAYS someone just a little bit better (or in my case, MUCH better). I'm a winner this year just by all the positive comments I've gotten on my leaf-springer fork build.

Looking forward to your next build thread! You do good work!
I agree with you whole-heartedly that there's always someone better, faster, etc. I was going to build my bike idea anyway so why not have some fun with like-minded people.
I love seeing what people come up with and find it inspiring.

If I keep them, I'll add the ELGIN logo to them.
Haha, was watching a funny little movie last night.
When I saw you wrote ELGIN logo I thought it said LEGO...
and I thought, why would he put that on there???

Those really are awesome RM.

Carl.

Thanks guys. I'm always envious of the guys who can weld and build their own frames. Like some of you said, there's always something more to aspire to. But challenging ourselves to do the best that we can with what we have and enjoy the process along the way is why we have hobbies like this.

The tank has move back to the top of the list recently. Like I said before, I tend to move around when I'm building. It helps to give things time to come into focus.
Anyway, I have roughed in the extension to the trailing end of the tank. I started by building a dam out of cardboard and then covered everything with thin foil to keep the fiberglass filler from sticking to the frame or the other half of the tank. After the first half cured, I repeated the process on the other side.
I built up more than I need so that I can grind it down to the shape that I want.
Here's the first step...
Decoluxe tank extend.jpg

I got the shape roughed in and put it back on for a test fit. There's still more sanding to do, but I wanted to see if I like the length before I spend very much time massaging it into it's final shape. Plus I picked up a couple of doodads last weekend at a car show that I'm chomping at the bit to work on! More on that later.:)

The beef jerky has given way to black primer to help see the form better.:bigsmile:
Tank extend.jpg

I got the shape roughed in and put it back on for a test fit. There's still more sanding to do, but I wanted to see if I like the length before I spend very much time massaging it into it's final shape. Plus I picked up a couple of doodads last weekend at a car show that I'm chomping at the bit to work on! More on that later.:)

The beef jerky has given way to black primer to help see the form better.:bigsmile:
View attachment 26953

That looks Really Good, do you plan on massaging the front of tank where it meets the 2'nd down tube to flow better, taking some off rear of tank and adding some to front maybe? and match the radius you put on rear, just a observation staring at your pic. don't wanna step on toes here.

may have to massage the indent area slightly also to flow with this frame but from pics. I seen of your tanks for thickness should be enough meat to do it?

Yep, there's plenty enough glass to take some away. I've been thinking that I'll reshape the end some (without taking it to far from the original), but I haven't considered the indent. I may have to look at that, thanks!
In hindsight, I probably should have centered that part of the tank on the tube.

Back