ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ya'll!

I found something that's I despise even more than body work. These triple step Elgin wheels are painted from the hubs to the rims. I'm hoping to find that they are chrome or nickle plated.
Decoluxe wheels stripper.jpg

I know! I'm way behind where I had hoped to be at this point!!!:eek:

Here's the final tease on the lamp pipe trim/fender brace. There are a total of 7 of these.:) (luckily these have been finished for a couple of weeks now.) :whew:
Decoluxe FB5.jpg

Been waiting to see those 6 rear ones go on for a while now. That gonna be a killer visual (and functional) effect.
You are milking the dramatic buildup and reveal well. :D

Thanks ya'll!

I found something that's I despise even more than body work. These triple step Elgin wheels are painted from the hubs to the rims. I'm hoping to find that they are chrome or nickle plated.
View attachment 29360
What product are you using on these wheels to clean them up? I have a set in very similar condition.

If that graphic arts gig or the music career doesn't pan out, you could always 'cast' (pun intended) yourself in a fishing show.

You've got most of us...'hook, line, and sinker' !
:21:
image.png

Been waiting to see those 6 rear ones go on for a while now. That gonna be a killer visual (and functional) effect.
You are milking the dramatic buildup and reveal well. :D
:D I've been saving this one. Timing is everything.:21:
What product are you using on these wheels to clean them up? I have a set in very similar condition.
This stuff is just as messy as anything else, but it smells like oranges.
fc32a508-48d9-47f9-965a-d297850b8cb3_400.jpg

After removing the paint from the wheels, I took them apart (and broke three spokes in the process:mad:). It looks like they are just steel rims and had a good bit of surface rust mainly on the insides. I wanted to soak them in vinegar to finish cleaning any rust so I made a trough to completely submerge them in. By making the trough just big enough for the rims to fit in, it only took about 1 1/2 gallons of vinegar to completely cover them both.

I'll get more pics of how I made it and post it in the 'how to section' after the build off is over and I have more time. Here's a look.
Vinegar bath.jpg

If that graphic arts gig or the music career doesn't pan out, you could always 'cast' (pun intended) yourself in a fishing show.

You've got most of us...'hook, line, and sinker' !
:21:

Totally! It's like a really good episode of Columbo where you can't see how he's gonna figure it all out....but you always know he will...:thumbsup:

Love the rim tub idea. Been trying to figure something like that out for de-anodizing.

Columbo huh? You're showing your age.:wink1:

Still painting today. I wasn't sure if I was going to paint the tank insert until I had a look at it on the frame. After putting the painted pieces together I decided to move ahead with it.
Decoluxe paint 3.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be on your side of town Saturday. Have a seconds for me to take a peek?
Definitely! I can use some help putting this thing together!:grin: Got a skip tooth chain breaker?

If you're coming early, we can go to my flea market honey hole.

Last edited:
lol. I decided that it's just too dang hot this summer!:whew:

But the upside is that my paint has been drying very fast this week when I need it the most!:thumbsup:

You still look wise with or without a beard!

I should be in town around 9:30 am. Picking up a couple bikes in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You still look wise with or without a beard!
I should be in town around 9:30 am. Picking up a couple bikes in the area.
It's the reading glasses, they make me look smarter, not older.:21:

-Call me when you're on the way.

Back