ELGIN- Finished 4-28

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ELGIN -Starting to PAint!!!!!!!

Bad News. There is a crack where the seattube goes into the bottom bracket. I didnt notice it before. It may have been there but appeared after I hammered out the BB cups. It should be very weldable when I find somebody.

Other than mess up your paint its not a biggie. I might have someone braze it instead of weld because it probably all brazed anyway.If you try to weld and the brass is there it really makes a mess. The two are not compatable.

I just talked to a guy that does both. He mainly specializes in road bikes but can tig and braze. It would probably be cheaper to take to a normal welding shop but I want it done right. Besides, that is the only joint that is not smooth. Maybe I can have him add a fillet to match the other joints.

That paint was only a test. No paint to mess up.

Looks like something in you back yard hates paper. :shock: Having something welded shouldnt cost very much. Its probably a 5 minute fix at most.

Uncle Stretch said:
Looks like something in you back yard hates paper. :shock: Having something welded shouldnt cost very much. Its probably a 5 minute fix at most.

It is called a black Lab that rips up anything. That was stuffing from her dog bed. Good thing it is warming up, cause she isnt' getting another.

Re: ELGIN -I love the smell of ........

Brass!!

I finally got the frame back from the guy who fixed the bottom bracket. He fillet brazed in some brass after tack welding the cracked area. Looks pretty good, may need a little filler for some small pits. Now this looks like the rest of the joints. I should finally start painting this weekend. Temps should be in the 70's by then.

0415091109-2.jpg

0415091110.jpg

Re: ELGIN -I Love the Smell of .........

Got the first color on. The blue has a metalic flake to it. I will get better pictures later. I plan on paint the front with silver with flake. Some sort of darts for the transition.

0416091825.jpg

Sounds like a good colour combo! Are you planning on any pinstripes between the silver and blue?

Galtbacken said:
Sounds like a good colour combo! Are you planning on any pinstripes between the silver and blue?

I would like to do a thin black stripe. Unfornately it wont' done be by my hand. I can either mask it or find someone to do it.

A little more painting done. Here is the fork masking. Elgins have the stars so I ask my wife to bring me home some gold stars from her classroom. No gold just red with smiley faces.

cp1_cp1_0422091930.jpg

Re: ELGIN -I Love the Smell of .........Paint.

Finally finished painting the frame. Still have some clear to go. Hopefully I should be able to start assembling next week.

CIMG1344.jpg

CIMG1345.jpg

Re: ELGIN -Frame painted 4-24

Getting close. Clear coated the frame and fork today. Assemble the handlebars with grips, stem and horn. The bars I bought used at a LBS. I found Electra stamped on them. Does anybody know what Electra had these bars?

CIMG1359.jpg

Re: ELGIN -Frame painted 4-24

I think Electra had a model about 5 years ago maybe longer called the newsboy or something that had those bars, but I see them mostly as accessory parts in the local LBS's. The Electra HQ is less than a mile from work, I oughta go over there sometime and see if they have an outlet shop or something.

That frame looks almost like a painted over carbon frame with the soft radius on all the joints, nice color combo.

Latest posts

Back