Elgin Old Army

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the stem I'm modifing.And the raw parts to build a mount.
stem.jpg

Stem and light mounts added
lightmount.jpg

Finished stem/light mount/& light with bars
stenlight.jpg

I nickel capped all the bolt heads,smoothed and polished them.The stem will still get more work with the file before painting.

As I work on this rat rod i find I'm thinking a lot about how it should be painted---sure OD green--for the Army connection,but what about and accent color.What would go well with army green---cream,orange,black? what do you think?
and the bike when finished may be ridden at night---any tail light thoughts?

Your right Sensor,it's just I've been looking at a M/C book and the WW1 harleys look so cool in their OD and orange paint---but then again I'm not too sure a bicycle with it's limited paint service would give the same look.I do plan on a tank for the two bars. and peeked fenders--eather an antique rear mount kick stand or a drop stand---leaning to the drop stand??and I need to do a rear light of some type ---again still exploring ideas -----sam

frameteam2003 said:
Your right Sensor,it's just I've been looking at a M/C book and the WW1 harleys look so cool in their OD and orange paint---but then again I'm not too sure a bicycle with it's limited paint service would give the same look.I do plan on a tank for the two bars. and peeked fenders--eather an antique rear mount kick stand or a drop stand---leaning to the drop stand??and I need to do a rear light of some type ---again still exploring ideas -----sam

Here's a taillight that could be made to look really good on that bike:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150397879769&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I was a bit worried that I'd run out of time on this build.At first 3 mo.s sounded like plenty of time---two and counting seems a bit short---rather puts ya in a bind.But with the main color done I feel maybe I'm on track.i've never done this on a time limit---does make the build more interesting.
How is the winner picked?

Thank Scott,the compitation is really stiff---you guys sure know your stuff---I'm having fun and trying to keep up!!!

this is the first shop of the bars after I hammered the grips on.Yes, these grips have to be hammered on with a rubber malett.I plan on covering the center with the same scrap of leather I did the seat with.Though of just painting them but they being all metal, might be TOO hot to handel in the So.Tex summer
grips1.jpg

Today was small advances---still it took time to do.
accentcolor2.jpg

Front view.BTW the wheel is only a timp,yesterday I sent the rims out to a friend to be laced
accentcolor1.jpg

Back