Engine kit sprocket question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all you 66cc/80cc kit owners, I am wondering how well the sprocket mounted to the rear wheel spokes holds up. I am putting an engine on a bike, and would like to use a centrifugal clutch directly hooked up to a sprocket mounted to the real wheel. To me it kinda seems like the sprocket provided with the kit that sandwiches the spokes might hurt the spokes and alignment of the wheel. Any experienced advice on this? I'd really like to skip the use of a jackshaft and only have one chain, so i'm just looking for advice on how a rear mounted sprocket can successfully work. Thanks!

The spoke clamped sprocket will ruin the back wheel. It will eventually wear thru the spokes and sometime right before that, wheel failure.
The ones that clamp onto the hub are better.
That jack shaft is really, the only way to go.
Lets talk about the $80 bike you are about to go 20? 30? Or even faster on....
I don't know what you have but, it was designed for 10 mph. The coaster brake isn't enough and caliper brake pads melt at those speeds.
For safety reasons, make that a BICYCLE!
-Use a disc braked fork shocked bike, preferably a good name, to be safe.
To each his own, mine are suggestions, please report if you don't like my words, refrain from cursing me out on the forum, thanks.

Back