Enlarging fork dropouts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some forks with dropouts are a tad to small....is it safe to use a step bit to widen them a little? They're probably like 1/8" too small at the most.

Just need to know before I potentially ruin some nice forks.

6750624.jpg

i recently did this. I drilled the very end of the slot and left the beginning part the narrow width. So to get the new larger-axled wheel in, I have to open the forks and slide the axles into the larger area. hard to explain. it sorta looks like a keyhole. works well, and the wheel can never fall out of the fork.

thanks for the replies.

the thing is, is my front wheel hub has a completely removable threaded rod for the axle that inserts through the hub (it's a Worksman wheel, i guess that's how they make 'em). so i thought i might be able to get away with just boring out the actual inner hole of the dropout a little wider seeing how i can just slip the free moving rod/axle through it. the actual channels are smaller too and would stay the same which would help keep that axle snug & secure.

i could file it too, but this seems a bit more ideal.

so long as you have enough material left (a subjective thing), then sure, drill it out larger.

I have been one to file/grind the threads on the axle first. Normally you can file off two flat spots to make it fit. Axles can be easier to replace than a fork.

cman said:
I have been one to file/grind the threads on the axle first. Normally you can file off two flat spots to make it fit. Axles can be easier to replace than a fork.

indeed. that might be an even better solution....thanks everybody!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back