Evans Colson Sonic Scout

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.S.BOLTNUT

He who dies with the most toys ,still dies No Fear
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Came home kinda late last nite to find a bike box on my porch and inside was this , got it in a partial trade .
Very happy I've never seen a rack like the one on this bike that fastens this particular way , very cool .
20161217_221049.jpg
20161217_221049.jpg
20161217_221221.jpg
20161217_221206.jpg
20161217_221141.jpg
20161217_221133.jpg
20161217_221110.jpg
20161217_221117.jpg
20161217_221058.jpg

Thanx fellas , gonna see how long I can get away with having it in the living room,
I like lookin at it . ;)

I can see why you (or most of us) have never seen a rack like that. First time someone sat on it, it gets ruined and in the trash it goes.

I can see why you (or most of us) have never seen a rack like that. First time someone sat on it, it gets ruined and in the trash it goes.

Cosiquently , I don't kno if you can see in the pic. ? But I think someone at some point may have sat on it , if you look at the rear fender brace it slopes to the floor at the rear also the brace that connects it to the fender is smashed down ., but curiosly the rack itself is not bent ?

~ Rafael ~

Now that you point that out I can see it. the fender clearance looks pretty tight. I would think when someone sat on it, the fender rubbed so hard the bike would have stopped pretty quick. It looks like there is another stay mount on the underside of the rack at the rear end. Perhaps it's missing another set of supports.

I've seen plenty of old euro bikes where they would have stays on the rack and the fender would bolt to the rack or visa versa for a cleaner look. I have racks and fenders on my touring bikes and the dual supports do look a bit cluttered.

Also, is that an hole in the front fender behind the light? That may have been the original hole for the front fender screw. IMO, using a screw that threads in to the bottom end of the fork is a poor design because water can get trapped inside the fork and create serious rust. (probably not an issue in California inland valleys) Although the worst design must be the Elgins where they drilled holes in the top of the fork blades right where they curve inwards for the fender screws. Drilling holes in a major stress spot isn't good.

rick

No other hole in the front fender , here is anot her example of a Scout like mine wher the light is in the same position, puzzled me at first also .

a3f2853e8b24a2b89a2eb6f02bb65c6e.jpg

No bikes in the house, other than the basement, was rule laid down by my wife the day we moved in 30 years ago. So I have 3 sheds for the over flow from the basement.

Nice!

My first bike was a 24" scout, with the long curved rack, like the second bike, in 1962.

I didn't know Colson also used a seat stem that tightened like a handlebar stem, like AMF had in the late 50's early 60's.

Nice!

My first bike was a 24" scout, with the long curved rack, like the second bike, in 1962.

I didn't know Colson also used a seat stem that tightened like a handlebar stem, like AMF had in the late 50's early 60's.

I wasn't aware of the seat post either till I got this one , buy the way it's still sitting in the same spot also haven't put the seat or pedals on it yet , still raining outside.

~ Rafael ~

12/25/16 Captains Log day 7 the Sonic Scout is still on the main deck ( living room) starting to get resistance from the 2nd in comand don't kno if I can hold on any longer .

~ Rafael ~

Back