Ever seen a cable end like this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I found this nifty Shimano stem-mounted 10-speed mini stick shifter that has the perfect vibe for the turd I'm currently polishing. Bought a new set of standard derailleur cables to mount it up and discovered I had a problem:

20171119_182633.jpg
20171119_185406.jpg

Circled in red is what came out of the shifter. Circled in blue is the new cable. The one that's not circled is just something I had laying around, and it's too narrow to hold firmly in the shifter handle like the original:

20171119_185621.jpg

The guy at the LBS said he didn't have anything like the original. He said I could probably file down the one circled in blue so it'd fit in the hole and work okay. Anybody have experience making something to work with this type cable end before? Do you think filing down the new one would work? Or maybe you know where I can get one of the original style?

if anyone's interested, by the way, the plan is to put it on this:

20171108_231550.jpg

thanks in advance...

Measure what you've got and report the size here--there are alternatives that aren't commonly found in the bicycle community.

Cable-Ends-on-Replacement-Cables.jpg

It looks like the 5x7mm throttle cable might fulfill your needs, provided it's long enough. I also believe filing is a perfectly acceptable solution, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. One must avoid causing any damage or weakness to the cable strands themselves or the way they're gripped at the barrel. If that's the way you want to go, I'll draw you a diagram.

Last edited:
If you decide to pare down the cable end, I suggest you do it like the image of the left. There's more "meat" anchoring the cable on the left, and less of a chance the individual strands will be weakened. Much more of an issue when working with brake cables, obviously--if your shifter cable snaps...big deal.
cable.jpg

Thanks all for the great information! I happen to have a moped shop near where I work, so that'll be my first stop... then I'll try like Dizzle said with the Shimano 3-speed cable. (Yeah, I actually thought I remembered the Shimano 3-speed shifter cable looking like that too, but when the guy at the LBS said he had nothing like that, I figured I must have remembered wrong.) Last resort will be filing something down. Will update when I get something together.

Suntour Xpress shifters used that style of cable around 1990-91. They're kind of scarce now. We used to file down other cable ends to get a "class 2" fit if we didn't have the correct one.

Back