Excel vs. Dia Compe?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Did Huffy ever run Dia Compe? Some dia compe sets seem to look the same as the Excel sets. I have to buy a full set for my project and I don't see any Excel on Ebay, but I see some Dia Compe.

They both function, look, and cost the same. Does it really matter?

personally , I've never seen a Dia-Compe on Huffy, but ???
I know others used them, notable some Columbias,Vista.

I know later 70s Huffy used the steel calieprs ( either Arai or the 'fish' logo ones, not certain which without going to check ).
If it's a rider, nothign wrong with the DiaCompe ones, or.. ones I like are the repop 'Action' brand ( got mine on amazone), near copies of the Weinmann or Diacompe style, but no brand name at all, nice smooth look).
here:
http://www.amazon.com/BRAKE-ACTION-...UTF8&qid=1425697565&sr=8-4&keywords=890+brake

That's an 890 mm reach, as Schwinn Fronts,I have the 1080 as well, might be a 1020 reach as well... unsure what Huffy used,Raceur (shorter ) and Grand Prix (longer), maybe 890 and 1020 respectively ?
For a resto I'm anal enough to worry about the Excel branding, but for a rider / custom build....
your mileage may vary

For the particular build in my head I can't be picky about the rear brake because the standard Excel used on the Super Stock won't fit. So I have to buy a new 1080 to reach. I guess that means I don't need to be picky about the front either. An old Dia Compe front will be fine with the right levers. I was just ask for conversation more than anything.

Hey crash I have a caliper that looks like an excel with no markings on it, you just have to change out the post because its a ftont.

Latest posts

Back