Fathers day

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
So the story is..... Driving home from work on friday I pass a garage sale. Going 60 mph I catch a glimse of a bicycle in the back of the sale. I continue to drive on as the curiosity continued to build. Of course I made a U turn and went back. As I am walking up the lane I can already tell that it has a brooks saddle on it and tried to stay as calm as I could. I begin to look the bike over and was pretty excited about all the goodies it had on it. The lady begins to explain how it was only ridden a time or two but it is a very special bike and its antique.... blah blah blah. She then gave me her asking price which was obviously more then I had anticipated. She would not budge a penny. Well, not wanting my wife to kill me for buying another bike I sadly walked away. It was a hard drive home to say the least! As i walk thru the door I begin to explain to her the story of the bike and how I could have made good money parting it out. All i wanted was the seat. She didnt seem to pleased but was happy i didnt "waste" my money.
Driving home from work on saturday I saw that my hopes were surely shattered as I saw that the bike was no longer there.
I awake sunday morning to a bunch of hugs and happy fathers day wishes and cards. I make my way to my shop for my morning smoke and coffee. As I stand at my work bench my family all seem to be gathering in my garage. Wife is in disbelief that "the" bike has not been noticed yet neatly parked with my other bikes. I could not believe it myself that I didnt even smell new blood in the shop! It was the best morning ever!
IMG-20120617-00862.jpg

IMG-20120617-00860.jpg

IMG-20120617-00854.jpg

IMG-20120617-00852.jpg

I dont know anything about the brand or real history of this bike. I do know that every item on it is stamped with made in England or great britain. Even the tires. I guess I have to keep this one whole until I get some true details on it

growing up in england I can tell you that every dawes branded bike I saw was of high standard,most I saw were touring bikes with every sort of extra welded pieces for panniers,guards,lights and pumps,reynolds tubeing on all of the frame I think plus hand made frames,I would strongly urge you to keep this original,this company has been around I think a bit after raleigh started,so dawes has been around from maybe mid 1920's,very nice bike,lucky man :D

Thanks for the info! It had some sort of shiiping company tag on it as well. Of course the lady told me that it was shipped here from england but I cannot confirm any truth to that. She did however give my wife a phone number to call for the matching womans bike. I may just have to sneak that one into my shop :D

Im glad to see that their will be no part out..I still dont understand the part out ...Why take a bike apart to sell all the pices....I just dont get it..Maybe I should some one enlight me..?

Well I can only speak for myself on the part out topic. If I find a bike that I can get cheap and it has "some" parts that I want, well I buy it,strip it and sell what I don't want. I don't care much of the actual value rather just look for what appeals to me. Now the topic bike had became a gift so of course I will hold it a bit closer to me due to the meaning behind it. I am not against anyones opinions or suggestions I just do what makes me happy. I hope that's not to selfish of me but its just my two cents on the topic of parting out.

I do the same Slow,Brooks seats here in New Zealand are sort after and I would buy a whole bike just to have the seat,example is i payed $50 for 3 bikes,one being a bottom of the range raleigh 70's roadbike but with a standard Brooks on it so kept the seat(the main reason I parted with 50 clams) striped the raleigh sold the frame/fork for $40 suntour gears for $20,so got basicly a Brooks saddle and some bread/milk money for a bit of my time and kept the other 2 basic mtb's for parts,bought a whole lowrider bike for $50 just for the 144 spoke wheels,its about the only way I can stockpile parts for my builds on a budget,individual nos and used raleigh parts are so expensive here($20 for a couple red "R"nuts)so you can imagine an old schwinn in good condish would be worth a fortune here unless they didnt know what they had :D

Exactly my thoughts Chain. I have many friends that will buy a basket case bike and spend hours polishing every small piece so that it can be as clean and original as the day it was made. I truely envy them for their efforts in doing that. I cannot say that I really am that way. If I can get parts that I want and share the leftovers with friends to make a couple bucks to break even, I am stoked! I never seem to waste parts as they always seem to find a home. Its all about what our individual goals and styles are i suppose.

ha i was thinking it was a '74 as i thought it had the oylimpic rings on the seat tube but the colors are in the wrong order but it must be from around that time,the Galexy seems to be the most noted modal but can't find anything to do with "classic" as a modal,some times the date can be stamped on the steerer tube of the fork,maybe next time you service it could be worth pulling the fork out for a look plus check serial No.

Well for me it is a bit small. I kind of feel like a bear on a clown bike. I have yet to do any adjustments to the previous owners ride preference. I think that I will make a lay back post for the seat and put a forward bar stem on it. Other then that it rolls and shifts like a dream. I have been calling it the "ninja" bike because it is stealthy quiet rolling down the street.

Back