FELT'S ABRAHAM LINKAGE SPRINGER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wonder how many of these will show up in next year's build off :lol: i gotta get one!!

why would you want to change anything about that bike??? :D

It looks great the way it is!

I got to see one in action Saturday morning at the Indycog, its a celebration all things bicycle. Kind of a cool event. Anyway the guy that had it said he had been waiting for 6 months to get it, he said it was real ridged feeling and liked his Schwinn style springer better. It also had little spacers between the springs and the forks that where plastic. It does look very heavy duty and he was very happy with the construction of it also said he would buy another one if he didnt have to wait so long to get it. Here is a picture i got of it, it was on a real nice looking Felt bike with cool looking pin stripes.
Picture003.jpg

olschbp said:
what I would like to know is the size of the steerer tube, is it 1" or 1 1/8"?

Still at work but it is definitely a 1 1/8" diameter steerer tube and 8 1/2" long to the bottom of the race. It's a hefty unit, initial is impression that the quality, fit, and finish far exceed the crossbow repop, which you would expect from Felt.

I may be wrong, but it looks like I would have trouble trying to fit that springer over a front fender. It looks like the front portion is usually below the main part of the fork, which is where most fenders are connected. What do you all think? Can this springer be used with a front fender?
SoCal Jack, would you measure between the fork legs on both the main fork and front fork where a fender would go? Also, is there a hole on the bottom of the steerer tube for a bolt to hold on a fender?
Thanks.

thank's a bunch for the info on steerer tube, I was wondering about that, I have a Felt Chief that I think that fork might look good on

olschbp said:
thank's a bunch for the info on steerer tube, I was wondering about that, I have a Felt Chief that I think that fork might look good on

No problem, I think it'll actually mount my Nirve without cutting the steerer, and just use something like an Azonic headlock so you don't have to screw around with a star nut, they're better than star nuts anyway.

GameBent said:
I may be wrong, but it looks like I would have trouble trying to fit that springer over a front fender. It looks like the front portion is usually below the main part of the fork, which is where most fenders are connected. What do you all think? Can this springer be used with a front fender?
SoCal Jack, would you measure between the fork legs on both the main fork and front fork where a fender would go? Also, is there a hole on the bottom of the steerer tube for a bolt to hold on a fender?
Thanks.

Looks like back legs which are wider tapers down to a hair under 3 1/8" where the radius starts, the front legs taper down to just under 3 1/4". You'd have to mount to the front arch which does have a thru-hole front to back but don't know about clearance on the back arch to the fender if you did. I don't think there's a lot of travel in the fork though.

I was running out of light and didn't want to use the flash so pics are not ideal. This fork is stout probably 7 or 8 pounds very solid unicrown type fork leg much like BMX fork construction. As already mentioned 1 1/8" X 8 1/2" threadless steerer tube. Spacers at either end of the springs as mentioned above are plastic but seems like a good quality one possibly fiber impregnated, spacers below nuts are rubber. If there appears to be a weak link it might be the aluminum riser piece connecting the springs to the steerer paint there is also not on par with fork legs which are pretty buff. Welds seemed pretty good, no visible splatter or voids, and tubes are strong, no bending this puppy by hand but shouldn't need to as it is totally squared up.

So far, I'm much more satisfied with this fork than I was upon recieving the crossbow repop version of the Monark and at bonus of a ~30% discount. May try to mount them to my Nirve cruiser tonight. The only downside for the classic/vintage cruisers is not many frames will fit this fork.

Front and back shots;

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

Accessory mount on front arch.

IMG_1555.jpg

A shot from under the steerer tube

IMG_1554.jpg

Only complaint so far was they didn't tighten up the riser piece to the steerer tube enough so it worked its way out and scuffed up the backside up a little, a quick shot of enamel and all's good.

IMG_1553.jpg

Since the Chargers were commencing to suck, a quick mock-up, still need to get the race off the old fork and swap on this, will use a different stem also but the fit will be good with no cutting.

IMG_1561.jpg

maddogrider said:
Oh yea and here is the bike behind it, the guy even let me ride it :mrgreen:
Picture004.jpg
Those bikes are RRB member pullinlines.....he has some sweet stuff! :wink:

Fork question....... does a Thick Brick fit?

olschbp said:
also wonder if a 24X3 tire, wheel combo like found on the Chief would fit in between the legs? :?:

I might be able try that out tonite, I have some Thick Bricks and Kenda Krazes at home. I think the Bricks will no problem, the Krazes very tightly if they do. Heck I use the Bricks on the back of my Elgin Oriole, just can't air them past 25-30#.

I know that they use that fork on thier Slater bike, but it uses 26" Quick Bricks, and I have a Chief, with 24X3 Thick Bricks, don't mind buying one, but want to make sure that it will work for me, thank's for your help socal_jack

Back