Finally got a Krate!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Traded my Eliminator and a few bucks, but I'm very happy to finally get a Krate. 1972 Lemon Peeler. Absolutely beautiful repaint by the previous owner, who is a bodyman. A few repo parts, but the deal was very good so no complaints here! I am not an expert on these, so I may have a few questions from those of you who are. Hope you like!

LemonPeeler1.jpg

I like it!,can't wait to see it in person,I know whitch bike you'll be taking on the next Pittsburgh ride!

Nice!!

I'd say I was insanely jealous, but I'm not - I'll get one someday.

I'm not. Really.

No,really.

Seriously; that's a great looking bike!!

You got it all with that Peeler. That was what everybody wanted in the 70s, but very few had them.

Sure it's a '72? 1972's were the first year that Schwinn put the "Disc-Brakes" on the Krates. I only ask because I see your's still has the caliper style with pads that were used from 1967-1971.

looks like sparkle grips which i think was a 1/2 year thing too on the lemon (could be wrong tho) either way slick looking Lemon Peeler !!! Love the thinline tire :D

Krateness said:
Sure it's a '72? 1972's were the first year that Schwinn put the "Disc-Brakes" on the Krates. I only ask because I see your's still has the caliper style with pads that were used from 1967-1971.

Frame is dated 72. I am learning as I go. The caliper brake is correct thought right? Just the pads are wrong??

1972 was the first year Schwinn put the Disc Brake system on the Krate bicycles. If the fram is dated as a '72 then it should have a disc on it and not the caliper brake system that was used from 67-71. If you see the picture below of my Pea Picker disc this is how the brake system should be on all 72 and 73 Krates.

DSC00855.jpg

OK, so at some point, the disc brake vanished :( O well, I'm still in it kinda light on the wallet. I'll hafta search for one. That and original fenders cause the repops are pretty bad. BTW, thanks for the tips! I'm learning as I go on these.

No problem, I've found that most of the time a Disc Krate loses the original disc rim is because eventually they see what the rear rim sells for alone and end up selling it and just replacing it with the standard rim. Happens a lot....

CCR said:
looks like sparkle grips which i think was a 1/2 year thing too on the lemon (could be wrong tho) either way slick looking Lemon Peeler !!! Love the thinline tire :D
Looks like coppertone grips,worth a chunk of change on ebay.Correct would be yellow on a 72'.
I always like to show mine.My stone cold original 73 is for your refference.It was pulled out of the original owners attic a few months ago 5 blocks from me.
73 disc left and 71right
001.jpg

73 disc as found
73disclemonpeeler001.jpg

Lemon Peelers are my all time favorite buddy,good score!

Thanks for the reference pics! The grips are yellow sparkles, which IDK at this point if original or not. I have a set of coppertone grips and they are very much dif from the grips on here.

If the grips are the gold glitter grips found on the 1969 Lemon Peelers then those in themselves are worth some nice coin if they are in good condition. Those were only used for one year so they are hard to find.

Back