Firestone tank ID help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
just thought I'd ask u experts . Got a super good deal on this tank, I don't know why i thought "26" and "24" inch girls tanks were interchangeable so I bought it. I have a 24 inch girls firestone pilot 24 inch frame believe it's prewar, has a skiptooth crank and an integrated seat post clamp. Any who.
The question is, what the heck is this tank for? Girls 26 inch or maybe a boys 24 inch??

Thanks.

vu4a5ube.jpg

vepy9e5e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This tank would be for a postwar frame--50s era. If the frame you picked up is indeed prewar, then this would not fit because of frame changes over the years. I don't know about the interchangeability of Monark tanks; it's definitely from a lady, though.

Also, a prewar Firestone Pilot most likely would have been a Colson built bicycle, so a different manufacturer altogether.

Thanks promo
What a knucklehead
I will post a picture of the frame
It may not be prewar it's just what I was told. And the tank doesn't fit right can't tell I'd it's too big or simply not the correct one for the frame as u pointed

9u6yvara.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, that is a really unique frame. It is built by Murray and the bike would have essentially been a very late prewar Elgin or a very early postwar Elgin (Elgin is generally associated only with pre-WWII, but it turned up for a blink of an eye after production returned in 1945). It is a transitional frame between the pre and postwar Murray frames; I've only seen a few examples of this and it could have even been built during wartime. A serial would enlighten to the build date.

It's still just a repainted bare ladies frame so it doesn't have any real value, but it's interesting to historical bicycle nerds like me.

At any rate, that tank will not fit it. You need a ladies 50s Monark frame like this:
Wishbone seat stay and pointed, downward angled dropouts are the best way to identify.

1250477432_dsc02188.jpg

Wow good info !
I guess I'll just keep the tank as wall art or for another rat build.
The og paint is visible might be alblre to save it. But I would like to keep it green, my girl likes green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back