Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/14 PaintedNanner+ WorkingLight

Gold Street Customs said:
Dang!! this your buildoff, I thought it was a forum :? :? :lol: :lol:

:lol: :mrgreen:
It's the Firewing Forum! :p 8)

Hadn't checked on what you are doing for a while. Lots of good looking progress.

A lot of painting going on ...Dig the nanner seat color...great work...

josh_from_ga said:
Looking Very, Very Good! I like the paint choices.

Funkme said:
A lot of painting going on ...Dig the nanner seat color...great work...

MazdaFlyer said:
Hadn't checked on what you are doing for a while. Lots of good looking progress.

Thanks guys and gal. I think the paint is blending well too. Still have to add the Firewing graphics, badge, and logo here and there.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/19- Project356 Shifter Mounted

I have been gone for a few days on a biz trip, but I got home on an earlier flight and decided to get something done on Firewing. Drilled and tapped some holes in the seat tube and got the Project 356 shifter mounted. Still need to paint the 8 ball and get a set screw for it.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/19- Project356 Shifter Mounted

thebigorangecat said:
Nice adaptation! Just hope those metal (drill) shavings don't end up down the pipe and in your bottom bracket bearings! OUCH!

Thanks for pointing out that stupid oversight for me. That really would be ugly and I am sure some shavings fell down inside the tube.
I need to grease it all up good anyway, I'll just clean it up EXTREMELY well first now and try to clean out the seat tube.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/19-ShifterThreeStarDeLuxePaint

I took of the cranks and bearings and cleaned outsetube and BB. Thanks B-O-CAT!!!!!!!
I sanded the crank and painted it flat black. The gloss wasn't working with the bike.
Cleaned up the chainring too.

I started thinking out the timeline sequence for what's left and I decided I needed to paint the "Three Star DeLuxe" on the down tube so that I could oil down the frame before any final assembly. When I used the rubbing compound a bit on the frame it did effect the "Three Star DeLuxe" and left this outline.

I sprayed some of the creme paint into a spray can cap and broke out a fine brush. It ain't perfect, but's I am pleased with it. The color match on the OG creme is great!

Sweet!!! :mrgreen:

I also think that I might use this old glass door know as my shifter knob rather than the 8 ball

I have an idea with the 8 ball, these wings, and slices from these small 8 balls. If it works like I hope, it may rest on the back ledge of my nanner.

Wow, that lettering must've taken some time. You've got a steady hand then I do for sure. FWIW, the lettering on my Three Star isn't creme like the paint, but gold with a black border. The border is pretty faded though. But either way, what you've done there looks great!

deorman said:
I like the door knob. 8-ball shifters are kind of over done for me. :|

That's kinda what I was thinking. I like the looks of the 8 ball, but the glass knob is less common.

expjawa said:
Wow, that lettering must've taken some time. You've got a steady hand then I do for sure. FWIW, the lettering on my Three Star isn't creme like the paint, but gold with a black border. The border is pretty faded though. But either way, what you've done there looks great!

Looking at the timestamps of my photos, it looks like it took 40 minutes. It only felt like 20. I saw from other 3 stars that it should be gold as you observed, but those also had gold lettering on the tank and suck. I used artistic liense because I felt creme would work better on Firewing.

Looking GREAT buddy!

I like the glass knob better too :mrgreen:

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/19-Shifter+Paint+Tank Accent

After dinner I decided to work a little bit more on Firewing.
Some of the Columbia tanks like I have had a trim piece that straddles a portion of the top bar. I don't remember which RRBer I got this from, but I had someone send me photos of one next to a ruler so that I could create my own.

Cut a a blank from some of my yard sale rof flashing.

Made a metal brake from two square rulers, a vise, and a paint stick.

It was pretty easy to get the basic shape.

I'm thinking either this RRB decal or a Firewing logo decal.

I did manage to put a scartch on the tank with the sharp edges of the accent trim.

Painted it creme and will have to sand out a bug that landed on the paint.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/19-Shifter+Paint+Tank Accent

Bad u know what

Back