First Project, 26" Trike, Help Please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first project bike ever and I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me out with. I cant figure how to remove the two back wheels from the axle. It looks like there is an allen key inside the wheel on the hub, I removed it but that didnt help. It looks like there might be a pin holding the wheel onto the axle but I tried knocking it out and it wont budge. My second issue or question is, I would like to put 26" 144 spokes on the Trike, do I need a hollow hub rim and if so how does it attach to the axle? Like a normal hex nut onto the axle? Thanks for the help, heres a few before pics of the Trike, it wont look anything like this shortly.

Not used to this photobucket style, here goes nothing. [imghttp://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m509/joe_rothwell1/2011-04-04_12-18-35_311.jpg][/img]

2011-04-04_12-18-35_311.jpg

2011-04-04_12-17-18_187.jpg

Ok, now that Ive figured that out I still need help with removing the rear wheels from the axle. Also referring to post one, I need to know about the 144's I plan to throw on, thanks.

Up close pic of the rear hubs would help. The wheels just might be on there tight if you've taken off cotter pin and bolt. Try taking a mallet or something you can strike with a hammer and tapping the axle while you hold the wheel near the hub, like tapping the axle and bike away from the wheel/hub.

Some trikes the rear wheels will stick like glue on there. I had one I rode for 3 weeks with no cotter key or bolts holding the wheels on. Then riding home one day with a heavy load of groceries the wheel finally let go and came off. :mrgreen:

Yea, Ill get one tomorrow of the hub and wheel, as you know because I see you live in phoenix it was raining today so I didnt take the pic like i wanted to. I removed the allen key from the little hole in the hub but I cant get the cotter pin to budge! What do you recommend hitting the cotter pin with? Its just hard because its literally inside the spokes of the wheel on the hub so its hard to get to. I tried tapping it out with a hammer and a screw driver, nothing! I dont know if its just bound up or Im doing something wrong. This is my first trike and or old bike, so I have absolutely no experience. I was an avid mountain biker till 10 months ago, I broke my back and had a Spinal Cord Injury riding motocross. Im able to ride however because this is an incomplete spinal cord injury. I know a lot about high end mountain bikes so I thought getting into restoration of cruisers would be a natural fit, but I have absolutely no clue about these old bikes. Any help is appreciated. Also, will I be able to put 144 spokes on here? I sure hope so because thats been the plan since the get go. I just purchased the bike 4 days ago and am starting to break it down. The 144's are an essential part of my rebuild so I hope they will work. Thanks

2011-04-07_14-05-00_118.jpg

2011-04-07_14-04-51_653.jpg

2011-04-07_14-05-28_891.jpg

Here are some pics to show you what Im working with here. Ive already removed the little allen key out of one of the little holes. There are three little holes in the hub, one for the allen key that I believe locks everything in place and then the other two holes looks like its for a cotter pin that needs to be tapped out to remove the wheel. Help please, thanks.

one of those hubs looks like it has a roll pin in it
it was preety hard to take mine out of my axles try a hammer and punch

robscustoms said:
one of those hubs looks like it has a roll pin in it
it was preety hard to take mine out of my axles try a hammer and punch

Thats what I thought, just wanted to know for sure before I start trying to beat something out that isnt supposed to come out. Thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Back