First Purchase

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time lurker to the board, I made my first purchase this Sunday. It was advertised as a Late 50's early 60's Western Flyer Roadmaster Skyrider bicycle for $150. From the badge alone, I was pretty sure it wasn't. After having some guys at The Cabe look at it, they told me that the frame was probably a 1930s Shelby Moto-Balloon Tire and well worth the asking price.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks as though someone,at some point in time,added the AMF stuff.I've had a lot of Western Flyers but I have never seen that head badge before...that badge may be worth what you paid for the bike!(?) KOOL SCORE! Personally,I'd lose the '60's AMF stuff and have the gang here at RatRod Bikes help you find the correct parts you need to put this beauty back to OG...P 8)

Pappy said:
Looks as though someone,at some point in time,added the AMF stuff.I've had a lot of Western Flyers but I have never seen that head badge before...that badge may be worth what you paid for the bike!(?) KOOL SCORE! Personally,I'd lose the '60's AMF stuff and have the gang here at RatRod Bikes help you find the correct parts you need to put this beauty back to OG...P 8)

+1 I'm with Pappy on this one! Awesome score!

I’m posting this picture of Patric Cafaro and his original 1935 Shelby Moto-Balloon taken from the internet, I doubt he would mind seeing here, posted as an inspiration to rebuild the bike to stock. None of the parts needed are particularly inexpensive or easy to find but this is one of the rarer Moto-Balloons out there and you have the frame which is the essential departure point for a restoration.

As for the badge, in 1936 Western Autos dropped this badge, replacing it with the prewar version of the more common design with a ball and waterfall.

For correct wheels you would need to find or build a set with the early triple-step rims rather than drop centers.

Back