Fixed pain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did this for my build. I have a small triangular file that just slightly wider than the thickness of the fork. I laid the file on the axle, aligning it with a flat side of the axle jamb nut. Then, tightened the axle nut down against it as a ‘fence’. Did it on both sides, making sure it was aligned with the first side. Didn’t take more than 10 minutes of filing in total and the fork slipped right in.

Getting Bike Like
The fork may be too short.
I’ll have to see.
It’s close.
A2AF528F-05CD-4425-803F-A53329BA6660.jpeg

Getting Bike Like
The fork may be too short.
I’ll have to see.
It’s close. View attachment 162196
I had that problem on one of my bikes, the frame was too tall for the fork tube by just a little bit.
But this works, The handlebar stem holds the top washer down instead of the cap nut. As long as the stem is tightened it holds fine. Just the cone nut and washer, no cap nut. It would work without the washer also. As long as the cone nut is threaded on it works.

Bulldog fork.JPG

It looks like you have some space at the bottom of the head tube if you decide to take some off. Remember the bearing cap needs some space to slide in. I did that once and had a weld keep the cap from seating in all the way.

I am having trouble deciding how to finish this. I have one bike that I will paint soon during its current rebuild, and another that I have as a rust rod.
and a Haro that still has its 1989? 1990? Paint job and decals.
I ride either (sometimes both) the Haro or the rustrod almost every day the Haro is my nighttime (generator and lights and fat tires) ride, and the rust rod is my ride for when I want some speed.
I really like the stabilized rust finish and it is easy to maintain with a little oil or BLO occasionally. I planned originally to do a similar finish with this build, but BMX bikes are supposed to be flashy…
What do you think about a rusty BMX cruiser with some bling on it.
it could look stupid or cool. Hmmm. I’ll have another beer and think about it.
and thoughts from the PROs?

I’m not much for rules, except the ones I made up in the last half an hour or so, so no hope for me as a rat rodder 😉
If my Tacoma dies, I could really drive that car.
I’d park it right next to my boss’s shiny red thing.

Last edited:
Looking even more bike like!
I have a black chainring and cranks, and black grips.
Will need to order/ buy a chain.
Need to think about pedals.
Platforms, or bear traps?
Most likely platforms and straps.
Contemplating a seat post and seat and possibly a brake.
I’ll have it geared low to start.
Once the fat old man can do some tricks I might put a smaller cog on the back if I can still pedal.
8F59F1D0-CCAE-4277-9F56-7D1CEFA30C5C.jpeg

Looking even more bike like!
I have a black chainring and cranks, and black grips.
Will need to order/ buy a chain.
Need to think about pedals.
Platforms, or bear traps?
Most likely platforms and straps.
Contemplating a seat post and seat and possibly a brake.
I’ll have it geared low to start.
Once the fat old man can do some tricks I might put a smaller cog on the back if I can still pedal. View attachment 162983
Bear traps and fixie sounds like a great way to give your calves and shins some "personality" :bigsmile:

Back