fork truss rods

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone make truss rods for front forks? I have a 1939 Firestone Pilot and want to add these to it. I've seen NOS Schwinn truss rods on ebay for $50, but I don't want to spend that much - this IS a rat rod, after all . . .

I think Electra sells them and maybe try Memory Lane, if all else fails just buy some conduit and make them :wink:

Stainless brake lines supposedly work nicely, they polish up nice!

regular brake line has a nice look to it too and is cheaper than stainless. these are plain brake lines (about $4 each), squeezed in vice, then hammered flatter on anvil portion of vise, then drilled for axles. Ran a 5/16 tap through the top to accept a bolt. The wall thickness is just enough to cut threads.

3021492053_f29048aa54_b.jpg

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
regular brake line has a nice look to it too and is cheaper than stainless. these are plain brake lines (about $4 each), squeezed in vice, then hammered flatter on anvil portion of vise, then drilled for axles. Ran a 5/16 tap through the top to accept a bolt. The wall thickness is just enough to cut threads.

Very nice job on the rods. Why didn't I think of that? :wink: My next truss rods will be home made, that's for sure. Gary

oh ya, the brackets... that gets a little trickier. i made a top bracket by cutting a pattern out of sheet metal with a dremel tool and finishing it up with sandpaper and a file. Pretty hack, but it worked. The middle bracket at the bottom of the steer tube is not necessary, but could be hand made also.

Back