Found in a wall.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helping a friend finish a basement, and we found a wall that was falling apart and behind it was a room with some garbage and this in it.

No clue as to why the room was closed off but there at least were no bodies. This house was built in 1892 so there has been a few changes over the years!

261410_10150207105846432_159687696431_7697403_1944923_n.jpg

When I picked it up it literally fell in half.

P.S. found out why the room was blocked off there was an old well under a a pallet with a mattress on top of that. Guess it was cheaper then filling in the well? Who knows. The bike looks like a 80's era bike so the wall can not be that old.

Yes, the Sigma was sold in Pep Boys stores in the mid 80's and came with white discs on the wheels,it can even be seen in the movie mannequin being ridden like a unicycle ,hows that for some 80's history....Cool find

So over the past year on this site I've seen a bike mysteriously found under a house and now one found behind a mysterious wall, and I ain't finding NOTHIN! haha

Very cool.

Anything salvagable, a nut a washer, anything?

This bike was literally corrosion from top to bottom. If I did not know any better I would have thought is was salvaged on the Titanic! The room was damp and musty being closed up with a well, however I would think that something at least would have been saved. The entire back end of the bike had turned from metal to pure rust and crumpled when I tried to pick it up. I've never seen anything like it!

Buck Masterson said:
This bike was literally corrosion from top to bottom. If I did not know any better I would have thought is was salvaged on the Titanic! The room was damp and musty being closed up with a well, however I would think that something at least would have been saved. The entire back end of the bike had turned from metal to pure rust and crumpled when I tried to pick it up. I've never seen anything like it!

Weird thing is, it looks like it was probably in good shape when it was leaned against the wall there.

The owner of the house is in her 70's and said that her grandson thought that bike was stolen! The only thing intact on it was a sticker on the front of it that said "Shawn". I asked why the wall was built and she said the 'fix it man" said it would be easier then filling the well and she would never have to worry about it again! There were pipes from the bathroom just above that leaked and needed to be replaced or else he may have been right, and I made some extra cash helping out a friend! lol

wow thats nuts! it must have been super humid in there to rust that much in like 15-20 years look like theres no mold anywhere in there? with the bike that roten you'd think the house would be falling apart :shock:

Buck Masterson said:
The owner of the house is in her 70's and said that her grandson thought that bike was stolen! The only thing intact on it was a sticker on the front of it that said "Shawn". I asked why the wall was built and she said the 'fix it man" said it would be easier then filling the well and she would never have to worry about it again! There were pipes from the bathroom just above that leaked and needed to be replaced or else he may have been right, and I made some extra cash helping out a friend! lol
I would assume the bike was thrown in there in guilt of stealing it or something. If there IS anything left, I would hold onto some bit of it and hang it in the shop. Cool story.

hello, mr.jones? this is the illinois state police. remember that bicycle you reported stolen in 1983? :mrgreen:

dsc00335_copy0_lg.jpg

I wonder what happened to the wheel covers on that old Huffy.

I vividly remember the sound that those disc hubcaps made. Back in 1987 when you just weren't cool if you didn't have tuff II's or Araya 48's the Huffy sigma was the epitome of uncool. That rawrawr noise they made was an early warning signal that a dork was coming and you needed to split

X-RAY said:
hello, mr.jones? this is the illinois state police. remember that bicycle you reported stolen in 1983? :mrgreen:

Man if you're desperate enough to steal a huffy you're pretty desperate. I mean steal a redline or mongoose, get something good. Probably hid behind the wall out of shame.

Remember, we're talking mid-early 80's here. Huffy's weren't THAT bad then.

outskirtscustoms said:
Man if you're desperate enough to steal a huffy you're pretty desperate. I mean steal a redline or mongoose, get something good. Probably hid behind the wall out of shame.

Buck Masterson said:
Hey now bite your tongue! I LOVE my Huffy! Don't be hatin on some Huffies, This is Rat Rod Bikes, not yuppie nose in the air bikes!

Crap, I logged into the wrong site, can I get a link for that yuppie nose in the air forum? I must've lost my bookmark. :mrgreen:

Buck Masterson said:
Hey now bite your tongue! I LOVE my Huffy! Don't be hatin on some Huffies, This is Rat Rod Bikes, not yuppie nose in the air bikes!

Just sayin! :p

I loved my huffy too but it still doesn't compare to my Schwinn. I wouldn't steal ANY bike but if I did it would be something high end not a Huffy.

Not hatin' just saying it's not worth the risk for an $89 bike from Wal-Mart....Oh wait early 80's......K-Mart. :mrgreen:

Back