Frankenstein Kona bmx

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks SOCALJACK for the frame fork set.Just put this frankenstein bmx bike together last night.These are not the cranks I wanted to use but with such a wide rear end I need a longer spindle for the bottom bracket.The wheels are Sumo hoops with SR hubs,carbon Eastern seat post,junkie clamp,Sharp stem,Peregrine pedals,S&M bars,Mirraco seat,Ame grips and Schwinn tires.BRAKELESS!!!Lots of fun so far,just need to swap the fork for a bmx Landing Gear and start upgrading parts.Butt for now shes gonna get abused!Haha hope you like it!

Kona004.jpg
Kona003.jpg
Kona002.jpg
Kona001.jpg

26'' Sumos.Im gettin a set of Rhino double wall in silver,and Im gonna have them polished or dipped with revcore sealed hubs and Landing Gear forks.It rides like a chopper right now because these forks kick out.The LGs will make for a steeper angle giving it a bmx feel.but I really like it alot!Im debating on riding my MCS or the Kona for the Hollywood to LA ride tonight.

Looks great. The Humu's design looks perfect anyway it is built up.

set it up with some 26'' Landing Gears.Rides really nice,very bmx feel.Not so choppered out and way more responsive.Im in the process of getting some double wall Sun hoops and better cranks.I also got some bolt on V brake posts that need to go on.Soon as those 3 things are done its probably gonna get powdered.

boobslgs010.jpg

what kind of bolt-on v brake posts...?
i looked aloooong time for a pair!

I got these from a guy I ride with.He has an Azonic Steelhead bike frame.It is built to run either a 26'' tire or a 24'' tire.When you switch tire sizes the posts have to be adjustable.So he had an extra set that he hooked me up with.you can order them through Azonic I believe they are about $30 to $40 bucks.

azonicvtabs002.jpg

Hmmmm... I had an Azonic Steelhead. I new what the holes were for but had never seen the bolt on bosses before. Very cool.

The bike looks great. Are you keeping the fork chrome?

Im kinda going back and forth on the color scheme.I was kinda thinking of maybe chroming the frame.So it would be a chrome on black with some red accents.Or white with chrome parts.I need to get the funds together either way.CMAN did you still need this Kona fork?Let me know I'll give it to you for shipping cost if you still need it.

do those bolt into the frame.. or around the frame?

i found some old Hawk BMX ones that bolt around the frame that cost me an arm and a leg!

bikejunkie said:
On the mounts you have to drill and tap holes,because they bolt to the seat stays.

I would sugest using a brake booster with that setup. it would help reinforcing the seat stays that are not desing to accomodate a v-brake. v brakes put a lot of stress.I own a azonic steelhead and the seat stays are very strong and reinforce where theses pins goes.
nice build

Yeah thanks for sure.There is a cross brace just above where the posts are gonna go.You should see the wheelset Im picking up tomorrow!!! freakin sweet!!! I'll post some pics tomorrow afternoon.

The back hoop is toast.They rode dead true till I came up short on a 180.I knew I shouldnt be jumpin them but I was having so much fun on it I started jumping and doing 180s with my kids.Im so bummed on how I messed it up.The front has brely a wobble in it and the hub is super smooth.The rear needs a hoop and the rear is super smooth also.Im picking up a ....... wheelsetset today!!!!

Sorry guys,I havent been on here lately to update pics.So far Ive put the Landing Gears,S&M Gay Bars,Primo head set,Shimano v brakes,tektro lever,I believe Alex hoops,with sealed Mosh hubs and black nipples,Big Cheese 3 piece cranks and a Rocket 39 tooth sprocket.I want to go with a chromo 3 piece crank soon.its gonna be tricky cause the rearend on this is so wide.But here it is so far.Hope you like it!

Back