Front axle nut question....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an old BF Goodrich 26" bike (1960-1963 I think) and it was missing the frt axle nuts. This bike is a Murray from what I've been told here so can anyone verify what size the frt axle nuts are? 5/16 x 26 tpi is what I have come up with by doing a few searches. :?:

Thanks

I can never remember. Just take your whole wheel to the hardware store and try on nuts until you find the right ones.

I tried Lowes and the local fastener supply company...no luck. The guy at the fastener place suggested I go the the bicycle shop. So I go there and there is 2 pimple face teenagers working on high dollar road bikes. I ask them for axle nuts for a cruiser with 26" wheels. They look at me like I'm speaking french. All they have is high end road bikes and mountain bikes....they acted like they had never heard of a wheel that has an axle nut. :x

So I went home and tried the nuts off of the front of my late model Murray cruiser...they are the same so I guess I'm gonna order the 5/16-26 tpi nuts off of ebay.

Most of the older american made bikes used 5/16" SAE threads on the front axel. I get the grade 8 nuts at Lowes and they work great for me.

Back