ORBO FYA - (Functional Yard Art)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leave it rusty! Maybe just a clear coat over the patina.
1706399261617.jpeg

Well it must either be:

"natural patinaization on ancient bronze"
"natural patinaization on ancient brons"
"natural patination on ancient bronze"
"natural patination on ancient brons"

:giggle:

You should mail me those hubs and let me rebuild the wheels.
Thanks for the offer! I’ll keep you in mind on future projects!

-I did actually rebuild the rear…. I haven’t done a great job of documenting this build, but I got the rear hub out and soaked in in degreaser for a week. Scrubbed all the parts, cleaned ‘em out, regressed and got back together.

I struggled a little bit getting it back together and lining up all the parts with the brake pads, but I eventually figured it out.

I’d actually be open to sending you the original Schwinn wheels (I think) that were on it!

Last edited:
I was looking at some nice used rims I have when I wrote that. I forgot you were trying to keep it rusty looking. Happy to help with your other wheels. I’m not trying to sell you anything, I’ve just really been enjoying building wheels recently. Although the cost of shipping parts back and forth adds up fast.

This is a cool bike.

I was looking at some nice used rims I have when I wrote that. I forgot you were trying to keep it rusty looking. Happy to help with your other wheels. I’m not trying to sell you anything, I’ve just really been enjoying building wheels recently. Although the cost of shipping parts back and forth adds up fast.

This is a cool bike.
All good! No worries !!! I need all the help I can get and will definitely keep you in mind in the future!

Truth be told, if I could have swapped some wheels from another bike, I’d much rather have done that than rebuild that rear hub!

I can’t lace wheels and I love the original wheels that were on it…. For another bike!

I’d much rather have someone here do it than a bike shop tech who has never worked on anything that old.

So, no worries, I really appreciate your input and support!

So, struck out on the rear wheel: couldn’t find a spoke in my inventory that fit….(tried 3). I’m going short a spoke!!!

Don’t let perfection get in the way of progress!!!

I was able to snug up the other spokes, so…. There’s that!!
View attachment 258656
Wouldn't be a yard art bike if there wasn't a spoke broken or missing!

And I got lucky here: I soaked the original crank and chainring hardware and a potential replacement crank and its associated hardware. Unbelievably, both came apart in minutes.

Marvel mystery oil is amazing.

So, I was able to get a straight crank, salvage the original chainring and clean and relube the entire bottom bracket: huge win:

Last edited:
So…. Dag-gone! You’d think bolting some old rusty parts together would be a snap!

NOT!!!!

Wow…. Super tough to get the rear wheel, chain and chain ring straight!

-as I’m super happy to keep the original chainring, that thing was CROOKED…. Lot of dinging and clanging trying to get that thing straight!!!!

Took a few hours to get everything smooth as silk, but finally got it.

There’s a little wobble in the rear wheel… I’ll try to square it at up, but this thing is definitely going to ride a lot better than it looks!!!
IMG_8976.jpeg

IMG_8977.jpeg
IMG_8978.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back