Galtbacken "Vincent"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the first bike I've built, hope you like it! :)
When I designed the frame I looked at a picture of a Vincent Black Shadow and tried to capture it's lines. I didn't want to make a bicycle that looks like a motorcycle with tank and all, but I really like the way that the line from the top of the tank on the Vincent motorcycle arch down, and the sweeping look of the exhaust pipes. The front suspension and the lights on the other hand, I didn't try to make look like the Black Shadow. I was pretty much just happy that I could make them at all! :lol:
I might have a backwards thought about building my first bike, but rather than to start with a complete bike and do modifications I wanted to see how much I could actually build myself. I used 26" 5-speed wheels and the cranks from an old bike. I bought the headset and handlebar mount and kickstand. The rest of the bike I built from iron tubes and sheet metal. Since it was the first time I ever touched a welder of any sort I had to learn as I went along...the front fork for example, which was the first thing I attemted to make had to be redone in a different way... :lol: For the lights I soldered (THAT I have done before! :lol: ) LED circuits powered by 9v batteries. The fenders I made with fiberglass. The seatcover and handles are made with leather immitation vinyl. The underside of the handles are held together with shoelaces. :D The whole bike is painted with rattlecan. I've got some photos of the building process, so if there's anything you wonder how it's constructed, just let me know and I'll see if I have a picture of it! :)
Cykel13.jpg

Cykel12.jpg

Cykel8.jpg

Cykel10.jpg

Cykel11.jpg

Oh, almost forgot! :shock: I changed the spokes to a pattern called 3 leading 3 trailing. Was pretty scared of trying to do it, I thought I'd mess the wheels up, but it really was easier than I first feared! :)

Ok, guess that's all for now!

All well! :D

That's a heck of a first attempt at fabrication job, nice work! You should make a few more sets of those fenders and sell them here, I love the look if them. Oh, and welcome to the site :D

Thank you!! :D
I'm thinking of making a new mold for making fenders. The one I made and used to make these fenders don't quite hold up for massproduction... :lol: Big chunks fell out of it after I made the first one so I had to repair it with plastic filler to make the second one! :D Anyway, it's easy to make fenders like that from fiberglass. If I managed to make them I guess anyone can! :) I used roving (is that what it's called?) and cut it up in small squares, about 1 inch wide, then I applied them overlapping each other until the mold was covered. I did a couple of layers like that, soaking it with polyester as I went along. Oh, first I put car wax on the mold to make it easier to get it off! :)
Here's the mold I used.
skrmform.jpg

I made it from the same material that's used to insulate houses. That wasn't one of my best choices! :lol: I put bondo and clearcoat on it to make it more durable, but the polyester used with the fiber glass dissolved it, at least partially... :roll:

I REALLY like this bike. A lot. And it has given me inspiration to try my hand at my own custom build... Did you use a frame jig in constructing your frame, or just go for it? Oh yeah, And Welcome to the sight man.

more pics of the build please, and especially those glass fenders. My dad makes lots of fiberglass stuff for RC planes, I'd like to try some fenders. Great idea!

Nicely done. Very unique.

Thank you all for the kind words! :D
To answer BrigmasterA: I didn't use a frame jig for this one. I drew all the parts on a big paper on the floor and bent the tubes to match the drawing. Kind of a stone age method I guess... :lol: To make sure that the frame would be straight when I welded it I clamped it down like this
simpeljig.jpg

On other stuff I used a spirit level to get things aligned. I've made a simple frame jig that I'll use on my next build, I'll post it under Bike Builds! :) Glad to hear you feel inspired to make a custom frame yourself! Just go ahead and do it, it's so much fun! :D
Hechtrod: I found only this pic of the fender making
skrm.jpg

It's after I took it off the mold and had just roughly trimmed the edges. For the front fender I used woven fibre glass, but for the rear fender I tried the other stuff with fibres going in all directions, and I found that easier to use. I think I've seen a thread here on rrb on how to make a collapsable fender mold that really looks good! I'll try that one the next time! :)
Here's some other pics from the build...
bakgaffel.jpg

ram.jpg
sadelstomme.jpg

pltsadel.jpg

sadelstoppning.jpg

Here's a mock up with the first front suspension I made, but the spring was too soft so I made the one that on now instead. And if you find the seat to be on the bigger side as it is on the finished bike, these pics show it before I cut it down in size! :lol:
mockup1.jpg

Here's the LED circuits and how they're mounted in the lights
framkrets.jpg

kretsmontering.jpg

Thanks again for the nice comments! :D

Thank you! :D I'm relly pleased with how it turned out myself! Initially I thought about making a build thread here, but since I didn't even know if it would turn out a bike at all I didn't have the guts to do that... :lol:

Yepp! :D The only things I didn't make were the wheels (although I changed the spokepattern), the crankset, the stand, the headset and stem and the gearshifter. Wanted to test myself, see how much I could actually make on my own. I tried to learn by doing... :)

This deserves a 2014 bump

Back