Gazelle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I tore the bike down last night. That was a challenge. There must be a trick to this that I couldn’t figure out. It appeared to me, that in order to remove the rear wheel, you first had to remove the chain protector. I struggled, but finally removed it. The vinyl was already a little ripped. It was so complicated to remove I really don’t know if I damaged it or not. But I am pretty certain it isn’t going back on.

IMG_3191.jpeg
IMG_3194.jpeg
IMG_3195.jpeg
IMG_3196.jpeg
IMG_3197.jpeg

I cannot believe how difficult that was. Either this bike was designed to never be serviced or I really overlooked something obvious.

I have seen those videos of the barges pulling massive amounts of bicycles out of the canals in Amsterdam. Now I understand. If there was a canal within throwing distance of my garage this bike may have gotten wet.

Wow! I tore the bike down last night. That was a challenge. There must be a trick to this that I couldn’t figure out. It appeared to me, that in order to remove the rear wheel, you first had to remove the chain protector. I struggled, but finally removed it. The vinyl was already a little ripped. It was so complicated to remove I really don’t know if I damaged it or not. But I am pretty certain it isn’t going back on.

View attachment 245599View attachment 245600View attachment 245601View attachment 245602View attachment 245603

I cannot believe how difficult that was. Either this bike was designed to never be serviced or I really overlooked something obvious.

I have seen those videos of the barges pulling massive amounts of bicycles out of the canals in Amsterdam. Now I understand. If there was a canal within throwing distance of my garage this bike may have gotten wet.
No there not easy. Have to pull the back off unclip the guard and slide it back. The Dutch don't actually pull the tire off to change a tube. I was hoping you would have the classic gazelle crank.
https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2016/03/15/dutch-style-puncture-repair/
204751923_2985335268412636_6778124576929935211_n.jpg

I did find the rims stamped 28x 1 5/8 0622. 0622 is the same as 700c.
IMG_3221.jpeg

I used my bench vise and a socket to pop out the cotter pins. They actually popped out very easy.
IMG_3199.jpeg

The bottom bracket was different than I have ever seen. There is a dust cover between the lock nut and the adjustable cone. I don’t think it is possible to hold the cone in place while tightening the lock nut. I can take better pictures later.
IMG_3212.jpeg

It actually looks like this bike has already been serviced. The chain appears brand new and the bottom bracket appears to have fresh grease. Looks like it is park tool grease.
IMG_3213.jpeg

Last edited:
Great article @ingola. First line says Dutch bicycles require almost no maintenance. I honestly don’t think I am accomplishing much. Everything so far seems to be in great working order. Probably just needed a good bath. But I am driven by curiosity.
There solid I pulled apart a 1960 everything was great. I'll ship your taillight this week

Thanks! So looks like they use a frame spreader to remove and replace tires and tubes without removing the rear wheel. Interesting. I really want to call this a terrible design, but maybe it’s just because I removed a chain protector that was not supposed to be removed.

I have one of those somewhere before I can here this style of bike was my thing. Have a bunch of Raleighs,bsa, gazelles.

Any suggestions on a frame pump. The bike has woods valves, so I think a presta style pump is needed? There are 15 inches between the pump mounts.

IMG_3224.jpeg

Last edited:
Someone has clearly already serviced this bike. The chain looks brand new and the grease looks fresh. No way that is the original chain and grease from 1977. Also the chain cover was slightly ripped and repaired with duck tape like someone had been in there. I’m wondering if it had been repainted. There appears to be a little brown paint on the headset and a little overspray under the fender like it was painted after assembly.

Anyways, I don’t think I am going to have to spend much money on this. The tires are fine and holding air. So far the only thing this needs is the rear light, a frame pump, and new bearings for the headset.

The grips are really crappy. Need to decide whether to keep them original or upgrade.

ha ha ha thanks, its 5.30 am here and I needed that laugh! its nice to see others that occasionally think like me! with grease from memory blue is aimed at marine grade, white is food grade and the other colors are you machinery and general purpose, ya can get graphite paste's and grease's etc but I found with bicycles I used marine coz its all I had, everythings still going good, ive since bought this cheap tub of Valvoline GP, its doing its job!

Last edited:
I can’t make heads or tails of that.
I understand, i'll translate it for you

It basicly says you first have to determine where your frame number is located.
1 seat lug
2 bracketas (underneath)
3 carrier plate tag
4 sticker on seat tube
5 sticker on lower seat stay

For 1977 that would be under your bracket
Then you look up the number under section bracketas.
Productiejaar means year of production.

Back