G'day ladies and gents

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well G'day to everyone on Ratrodbikes.com.

Well yeah I'm Shaundy and I'm from a town in south-east Queensland, Australia and came across this here website whilst researching one of my bikes. I've been into cars and hotrods for ages and have recently got into the whole rat rod seen. Where I come from rat rod bikes aren't that huge and you mostly see a lot of those stunt-type BMXs getting around skate parks but I reckon rat rods have that cool factor that no other bikes have and so now I'm here.

So what types of transport do I own? Well my daily driver is a 2006 Holden Commodore VS. I believe that the yanks know them as pontiacs nowadays. Mine is a BT1 optioned commie which means that it was modified for use as a cop car (if you listen real hard on a quiet night you can still hear the criminals yelling in the back haha). Before that I drove (and still have) a 1977 Ford Cortina TE. Beautiful old car with all the Ghia (luxury package) options and a 4.1L six cyl.

I've got 6 bikes at the moment:
-A 16" Roadmaster which is currently in the process of getting ratified with flat blue paint, modified apehanger bars off a motorbike and wildfire red wheels. this was to be my only current project until a recent trip to the town dump saw me bringing home 5 other bikes in the back of the Commodore.
- A 26"(? havent looked to check the tire size) Malvern star with metallic blue paint, an excessive amount of mostly standard decals and blue glitter grips. Still trying to figure out the model.
-A 26"(?) Indian Scout. This one had metallic maroon/burgundy paint with light blue head detail on the head tube area and lots of factory pinnstriping.
-A 28" ladies bike. I'm not sure of the make and model but it does have a five-pointed star on the headtube. it has front and rear mud guards, with holes on the rear guards for the attachment of spokes to prevent dresses getting caught in the wheel.
-Another 28" ladies bike. Once again I don't know what it is however it has a chromed 'H' on the headtube with a word cast into it. Can't yet make out what it is. It has decals which say 'Space Ranger' on the frame. Also has both guards with spoke holes in the rear guard
Finally a Hanimex Capri. I'm guessing its not that old but still has that old bike frame and will probably be cut up to make something awesome.

I'll try and get some pictures of these bikes put on as soon as possible as I would like some help identifying these mystery bikes.

Well that's my 10 cents worth so I'll seeya all later aye.

Gday mate,

Do you have bicycles brands that are indiginous to the down under area only .... you know ... stuff we don't usually or ever get to see?

Over the years I have made friends with a gent named Glenn Hutchison ... he was a hot rod reporter down under before he trans planted to the L.A. Area.

Well anyway, least I digress with me ditrabical b.s.

Welcome from the Wingman Clann

Wingman Leader Back to Base 4 Coffe n ............. LOL YIPPY out

First of all thanks for the replies.

Well Wingman, I'm still relatively new to the bike game as far as brand history goes but I know that Malvern Star was created in the town of Malvern in Victoria.

Has anyone else heard of or owned an Indian bike. Before I came across this one the only Indian Scout I knew of had set a land speed record in the hands of one Burt Munroe!

After a bit more research, I think that one of my 28" bikes might be a 1950s Speedwell as I saw a very similar bike at this address:
http://www.rustycranks.com/projectbikes.htm

Would anyone be able to tell me what types of bikes other than dragsters had the stick shift mounted on the frame, as I know a bloke who has a property near my place and the last time I was there I noticed there was a stick shift attached to a frame under a pile of other bits pieces. I didn't really look at the frame but yeah I would like to know if it could only be a dragster or if there are other things it could be.

I just found this website which has a huge list of Australian made bikes, strangely though I couldn't see Malvern Star:
http://canberrabicyclemuseum.com.au/bicycle_brands.htm

After a lot of squinting I have found that the word in the chrome H on the 28" bike starts with the letters HEAL... but the rest have been ground away. Possibly 3 or 4 letters are missing.
After a bit of a web search I believe the bike was made by Healing which began in Victoria in 1907 and ended in 1959. Alfred Healing would order the parts from other manufacterers and would assemble the bikes. rumour has it that he made his own tyres. At one point an odering error left him with twice as many parts as what was needed and no finances to pay for them. He then cycled around Victoria selling these parts and found that there was a huge bicycle following in Vic.

I think the 'Space Ranger' decals were probably put on by a previous owner.

Well thats one bike that I reckon I might hang onto.

Oh, my apologies for any offense that may have been caused by the use of the term yanks. Just a customary part of the Aussie language. :wink:

Hey guys,
Been a while since I was last on here but though I'd post an update. First things first, my 16" rat bike project has come along nicely. The frame and forks have been painted in flat blue line marking paint of all things. The rear guard has been painted gloss black and the rear wheel has copped a coat of gloss red and is waiting to be respoked. I have also found a set of whitewall 16" tyres and a set of motorbike handle bars which will be narrowed to make apehangers.

The second bit of news is pretty exciting. I was at one of my dad's mate's place and was poking around some of his old sheds. Lo and behold I discovered a Raleigh Chopper Mk2 3 speed! :mrgreen: She's in pretty rusty condition and has no seat or handlebars but has the two differnet sized wheels and the T-bar shifter. It's a beautiful bike and I will begin given it a full restoration shortly.

Till next time.

Back