Gold Nassau (Yet to be properly named)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a new project I have started. It started out as a very nice complete men's 3 speed I bought locally, and although nice that way, it wasn't showing it's true potential just yet. It's an early 80's Murray and the color is absolutely amazing, and was in great condition.
2583221554_7129397381_b.jpg

I really love the brown and gold, they really work well together and I plan to continue with this just finished a little more minimalistic. My inspiration for this build came from some photos I grabbed from here awhile ago. They really show an amazing side to early bicycling and wanted to build something that emulates this kind of look.
2204841242_fe1462a65d_o.jpg

2204048003_a6b689f361_o.jpg

Here's how it looks right now. So much that you are currently seeing are donor parts from a few bikes to get this bike going in the direction I want. I like this look, all the chrome is in really nice shape but these are Schwinn S7 wheels and tires so I am going to do a little different set up which I'll show after these shots. It rides really nice and smooth, I can go no hands for days and is just a sharp looking bike. Again, that color is AMAZING! 8)
2686782812_a8b892a5b7_b.jpg

2685980151_e07afa9e40_b.jpg

2686806786_951d523236_b.jpg

2685973431_301381fe57_b.jpg

On the still to get list...
Vintage brown leather saddle, brooks or hairpin style.
Another set of bars (these belong to another bike currently)
Cork grips or brown cloth, either which I would shellac

Here's some parts I will integrate into this build. A nod goes to Crassly and neccesaryevil for supplying parts to complete a skiptooth drivetrain build. They need a little cleaning and I will service the rear hub when I build up the wheels, but are really in great shape.
2686088373_a3579ea80a_b.jpg

2686093187_0ede1cd242_b.jpg

With this set up I hope to wrap the hoops with Electra's brownwall 26" x 2.125" tires and may possibly do a wood look paint treatment to the wheels, or leave them a clear coated raw sanded metal finish. In order to fit them on this bike I will have to make a little room and they should able to JUST barely make it in there. :shock: But on this frame style, it really has unique look. Another bike of inspiration, our fellow Outlaw's Superbe B/T. A great bike for sure and the same type of frame which was originally set up for 26 x 1-3/8 tires :)
2654389314_1c8a900a8e_o.jpg

Stay tuned for updates...

Nice bike! I have a Murray Nassau but mine is all chrome. I think mine is a bit older, from the late 60's maybe. I've given mine a similar treatment , getting rid of the hand breaks and putting on a coaster hub instead of the 3 speed. I'm inspired now to do some work to mine, love the direction you're going with yours.

i'll be following this bike. want to see the finnish. thanks for the kind words. i am glad i have inspired you with superbee. he is my fav bike. the ride is really great an i luv the seat on it. you are doing a great job

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Nice job on doing justice to that old bike. Looks good as is but the tires will really dress it up.

Back