gonna call it destiny(new paint 4.30)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: gonna call it destiny(thought this would be quick and easy)

i was thinking about leather straps/lacing. ran it by the girlfriend and i got the thumb's down. (i bounce alot of my idea's of her)but i think were gonna agree to disagree on this one. i'm with you, i think the leather straps will look wicked. might even velcro the leather so i can remove it easily.

started the second set of flames, and figured i'd give ya a quick set by step.
start by drilling the inside raduis of each flame
IMG_4642.jpg

then connect the dots with a cut off wheel (i used the heavy duty dremel disks)
IMG_4645.jpg

the brass has a finished side (clear coated/polished and a dull side. this is where i kick myself for making the same error i'v made soooo many times before. i know better, it shouldn't have happened but it did.
heres what not reversing the image before tracing it, will get ya. :x
IMG_4647.jpg

2 options, finish this so i can trace it the correct way, or mark the holes in the right places, and free hand it.
(i'll free hand it and do my best to match em up.)

back to the drawing board

So you ended up with the dull side facing out? No probs man, just polish it ! You've already invested the fabrication time, break out the wet sandpaper and rubbing compound.
Or, you could send it my way and i'll use it as a template :p
Rick.

one side of the brass has a clearcoat finish so it won't tarnish, the other side doesn't. so i'd have to polish both pieces. :)
cutting them out is way easier.
i'm back on track, so if ya want it, i'll clean it up and send it your way as a template.
IMG_4643.jpg

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

was gonna paint it flat black, but i might just stick with the blue.
i am not a fan of brown and blue usually (i realize brown is a neutral and they do go together) but i've never liked the combination, until now. :)

I'd definitely leave it blue, in my opinion it looks great with both the brown and the brass! Those flames look great too!

I absolutly love this bike. I might not pass up 24"ers again after watching this build. Please do me a favor though. Dont paint the fork. It adds character to the bike as if it didnt had enough now, lol.

thx guys, i appreciate the kind words.
today was a fabulous day up here in the great white north. we almost hit 20*c. spent the day playing with/on destiny.added a couple leather straps. i gotta dye them darker and i think i'm gonna add a couple snap's.
IMG_4685-1.jpg

went back and cut the forks one more time. there was approx 4" of straight fork right in the middle of the bend. it was buggin me something fierce.
heres the before.
IMG_4587.jpg

and after
IMG_4694.jpg

before
IMG_4596.jpg

after
IMG_4696.jpg

had to cut down the struts, but the forks look much better. (lowered the bike alittle more also)
my budy with the miller lives on the other side of the city, so i rode the bike to and from his place today (30min each way) really put it through its paces.

turned alot of heads and got alot of praise. almost home and this dirty looking guy flagged me down (1 block from my home)
turns out the dirty guys name is mike (and he was only dirty cause he just got off work.) dragged me into the back yard to reveil a huge stock pile of bikes/bike parts and some frankenstien creations (chopper burrito type bikes) they were rough, but cool none the less.

to make a long story short, he followed me home (had seen alot of my bike in the neighbourhood, and was very interested the others.)
i ended up giving him a coca-cola chess board (n.i.b.) and was told if i ever wanted parts/bikes to just stop in and take what i need. :) :)
he has a couple cool old cruisers with tanks, but ones a 12" roadmaster, and the other is his 11year old son's favorate ride.
(fantastic paint, rusty fenders and very ratty. the kids got good taste. :) most of the other stuff is newer, but he's gonna keep an eye out for old bikes for me. :)

as for painting the forks, thats funny you should mention that. it was the hot topic of descusion all day (no ....)
craig (my friend with the welder) wanted me to grind the forks and clean em up. my reply, nah man its finished!
even told me he was gonna do it when i wasn't looking. :)

when i got home, the first question from na, was "what color ya gonna paint it?"
my reply, "huh? its finished." :)
so the 2 of them ganged up on me all day trying to convince me they needed grinding/paint.
you'd be proud. i stood my ground and told em both if they didn't like it, they didn't have to ride it. :)

threw this pic into the mix to show you guys just how compact this frame is. thats my x-53 western flyer.
IMG_4680.jpg

forgot to ask, any good tricks for dieing leather without leather die?

i just hate to travel to the other side of the city, and waste $11 on a bottle of die for 12 square inches of leather.

That last cut was bang on man, now the radius of the fork curve sweeps evenly. Sorry dude, but i'm gonna havta side with your S.O. and your buddy and say paint! I felt the same way about my tracker when I first finished the mock-up, went out and put some miles on it. Then I started thinking, "man, this things gonna have funny lookin rust streaks all over it, the engine turnings gonna dull out,..... Besides, after you tell people how much work went into it, they usually go back over the bike to try and spot what you did :wink:
When I mounted my plate, I was gonna use these cool pan-head allen bolts, but they were too short, so I ended up with regular machine screws. You'll see under Mr. Horsepowers beak, and just below the I in Sixty, there 2 of those allen bolts. Thats because I went and drilled mounting holes where I thought they looked good on the bench. I should have had it mocked in place, because those 2 holes were impossible to use. :roll:
right.jpg

left.jpg

I also taper cut the leather straps to allow more of the plate to be visible. Wish i'd thought of snaps though, that would make washing the bike wayyy easier :!:
Rick
Edit; Saw your Q. about dye, seeing as your going brown (i think) to match seat and grips, you could probably use a furniture touch up marker (wood stain in a metal marker tube), available at home depot, and maybe even wally world or zellers.

the touch up marker is a fantastic idea! thx

with my plate, i just drilled 2 small holes for each strap and connected them with a dremel cut off wheel.
IMG_4704.jpg

right now the friction of feeding them through the slot twice, is all thats holding them in place. figured if i used a snap on each., i won't ever loose them (the snaps wont pull through the thin slot)
IMG_4697.jpg

i was thinking about a satin clear coat, to prevent the forks from rusting. who knows, maybe i'll change my mind at a later date, but right now i'm gonna enjoy it the way it is. i think the rough looking forks give it alot of its attitude!

had to make a late night trip to the all night walmart. (needed a new bbq) i like going late cause theres no crowds to deal with.
don't know how i missed this when i purchased the seat, but i picked up a bell cruiser tote for $18. it almost matches the seat (same company/product line, but the leathers are alittle different in color.)
IMG_4701.jpg

couple of belts hold it inplace. i figure it will come in handy since most of my bikes don't have drink holders. might just drill lots of 1/8" holes in each end and add an mp3 system (leaving as much room for tote as possible) saw some 3/8" thick batt. powered mp3 speaker while i was there.i think they would work perfectly.
IMG_4704_2.jpg

well due to a series of unfortunate events, the bike went back under the knife sorta speak.
this bike is increadably light weight. its just way too much fun to throw around. i took it out on some trails (nothing excessive) but the combination of 60year old forks, mean modifications and a very abusive rider was alitte too much.
they let out a cry like i've not heard forks cry before. i cant see any visible damage, but i know its there somewhere. :(

as much as i hated to do it (liked the old forks better) i threw on a 26" springer. saftey first, its just not worth the risk.new forks meant a new neck (which was one of my fav thing's on the bike) new forks also meant i had to move the tote (didn't sit right on the springer)

i added the light (i've always though these forks looked naked without one-too much neg. space)
figured what the heck, might as well throw on an old bell and speedo.
and finally got around to adding custom grip's/straps etc.

so here it is, the revised version, ready for paint. it's growing on me. i think once the forks don't clash so much, i'll be happy. :)
IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4829.jpg

IMG_4833.jpg

IMG_4834.jpg

anybody had any luck bending these forks in a bender? (with /without heat)?
thx

I only bend forks that I can afford to lose. Bending forks can be a crap shoot, not always gonna be successful. If that springer were mine I'd think twice before I put it in the category of "afford to lose". Bike sits NICE the way it is........Just curious, why you chose the route of cutting and welding the last fork, instead of just "bending" them. It looks like it would have been a fairly mild bend.

Ah, what an unfortunate fate for the old forks! I think, if you paint the forks so that they look like they belong more to the bike it'll turn out great! That light looks really good too! :)

KOTA said:
I only bend forks that I can afford to lose. Bending forks can be a crap shoot, not always gonna be successful. If that springer were mine I'd think twice before I put it in the category of "afford to lose". Bike sits NICE the way it is........Just curious, why you chose the route of cutting and welding the last fork, instead of just "bending" them. It looks like it would have been a fairly mild bend.

with the shape of the tube, i figured they'd end up bending where i didn't want em to bend and i'd end up with a twisted mess.
IMG_4847.jpg

i don't think any of the welds broke. i think the problem actually lies where the fork tubes enter the brace/stem. with the increased presure put in this area due to the new bends, and the years of corrosion, well i think there ready to snap.
there are actually signs of metal fatigue i didn't notice.
i'm gonna try, removing/shortning the forks, and re braise inplace. (an experiment of sorts)

Those OVAL forks are the ONLY ones I've had success at bending!..........ALL the round tubular ones "kinked". :wink:

Yo Leigh, that sucks man! I was liking that bike seriously. To answer your Q, like Kota said, bend 'em cold man!
I used my conduit bender on these here;
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12926
No kinking or severe pipe distortion, I left them in the frame (without bearings) for leverage and bent in small increments, keeping an eye on the dropout to make sure they didnt twist.
Pretty sure you can repair what you have, but if not, lmk, I should have a set of blue 26 inch forks around here.
Rick

thx rick thats appreciated. i'd like to fix these forks, but like i said, i'm pretty sure the metal is fatigue right at the top of the forks where they enter the brace. i might just weld em inplace around the top and see if it helps.

i just dont want to have to always concern myself with the forks breaking when i ride.the though of me going head over heals kills the fun. :)
are the blue forks you have wide enough for oversized tires?

so i cleaned the frame down to bare metal. i'm not sure if it was the weather (real wet) or what,but i could see the frame darken right infront of my eyes.

it was as shiney as the welded spots that are visible, then the whole thing slowly turned a dark grey (except the welds) in a matter of 1/2 hour.
IMG_4866.jpg

if the welds didn't stick out like a sore thumb, i probably would have just clear coated it.
what would do this? what is it about the old steel that made it tarnish so quickly?
anyhoo, hit with a dose of flat black rustolium. just going out to finish the forks.
IMG_4868.jpg

now the off white forks are going to look great against the flat black frame. if that is the plan.

that was the original plan, but it didn't look as good as i thought.

so the forks are flat black also. gonna try my hand at some pinstriping.

Back